Old 22-05-2008, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Digging fork recommendation

Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since its
label has come off

any thoughts?

Dave H

Old 22-05-2008, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Dave H" writes:
| Hi All
| I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
| I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?
|
| it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
| may be known as a potato fork??)
| also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)
|
| I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
| but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since its
| label has come off

I think that is what I have - I will try to look up its name and make.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-05-2008, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 May 2008 11:41:10 +0100, "Dave H"
wrote:

Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since its
label has come off

any thoughts?

Dave H

Go and pick some up in a shop. (Having had a quick research of prices
online)
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 22-05-2008, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since
its
label has come off

any thoughts?

Dave H

Go and pick some up in a shop. (Having had a quick research of prices
online)
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

I have looked at some in my local shops (DIY Sheds) all seem to have
fairly narrow tines and short (ish) handles
Dave H

Old 22-05-2008, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:57:45 +0100, "Dave H"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since
its
label has come off

any thoughts?

Dave H

Go and pick some up in a shop. (Having had a quick research of prices
online)

I have looked at some in my local shops (DIY Sheds) all seem to have
fairly narrow tines and short (ish) handles
Dave H

Ah you need a fork shop then.
Not got a garden centre or Wilkos near you?

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0134651
Height: 95cm
Which prob isn't tall enough for you.

If you wanted spades I can find them growing wild round here.

Old 23-05-2008, 02:25 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H[_2_] View Post

Bulldog do a potato fork: http://tinyurl.com/4qgkbb
Old 23-05-2008, 06:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

On 23 mei, 03:25, beccabunga
wrote:
'Dave H[_2_ Wrote:

;793667']Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but
it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since
its
label has come off

any thoughts?

Dave H

Bulldog do a potato fork: *http://tinyurl.com/4qgkbb

--
beccabunga- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

Try here, for example, to survey the market:
http://www.tooled-up.com/SubCategory.asp?CID=3&SCID=4
I see there Spear and Jackson Potato fork and an extra long fork from
Draper (1050 mm).
Old 23-05-2008, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
beccabunga writes:
| 'Dave H[_2_ Wrote:
| ;793667']Hi All
| I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
| I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?
|
| it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but
| it may be known as a potato fork??)
| also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)
|
| I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
| but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since
| its label has come off
|
| Bulldog do a potato fork: http://tinyurl.com/4qgkbb

I don't think that it is a potato fork!

I have one of a comparable era, and it was called something like
Power Digger. If it is the same, it has a steel shaft, both the
handle and blades are at a slightly greater angle to the shaft
than usual, and the tines are 5-sided.

It might have been Spear and Jackson.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-05-2008, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Dave H" writes:
| Hi All
| I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
| I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?
|
| it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
| may be known as a potato fork??)
| also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)
|
| I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
| but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since its
| label has come off
|
| any thoughts?

Wilkinson Sword "Power Digging Fork":

http://www.wilkinsonswordgarden.co.u...ts/601572W.php

That's the one I have.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-05-2008, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave H" wrote in message
Hi All
I have just broken my fork (after 15 years faithfull service)
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent replacement?

it had wider tines than normal (I always called it a digging fork, but it
may be known as a potato fork??)
also a longer handle (I am over 6 feet)

I am sure it was not too expensive when I got it
but I can't replace it directly because I am not sure of its make since
its label has come off

any thoughts?

depending where you broke it, why not get it repaired. My old man has a
garden fork with a steel handle of at least 30 years vintage. He bent the
handle once so got the thing rewelded. A little shorter but still does the
job for him.

rob

Good Digging Fork Dwight Gardening 16 05-04-2006 06:07 PM
Where to buy a fork head to replace my broken tine? Rusty Mase Texas 1 10-02-2005 01:57 PM
Fork Sharpening Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt United Kingdom 11 23-10-2003 02:14 PM
Fork and Spade order arrived torgo Roses 1 06-05-2003 03:32 PM
Clearance sale at Fork & Spade! Kim Roses 0 23-04-2003 01:32 PM