Old 22-05-2008, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Barbecue type?

"Judith in France" wrote in message

I try to make sure that cooking on the Weber is at least a three beer
affair. There's no point hurrying these things!

Yebbut we drink wine, not beer. Some wag (a son) called it fall-down
grape
juice last time we cooked over charcoal for him.

He favours a chimonea(sp?) and fuels it with sticks he picks up - or
rather
he gets his girls to pick up from the garden. While he drinks beer. And
wine. And vodka. And he has the cheek to joke about our consumption!

Mary

LOL My girls have told me that I have got to be very careful in Dubai
next week as women showing even a little sign of being a little
inebriated will be arrested. They said a glass a night would be o.k.
I told them I'm not going to eat dinner with just one glass of wine.
They are muttering together about "taking care of Mummy" - I'll give
them take care indeed :-

That's one reason I'll never go to Dubai.

Another is the heat.

Another is not being allowed to drink what I want.

Another is the cost.

Another is not being able to wear what I want.

Another is not being able to drink what I want.

There must be Another ...

I'll stay here. There are plenty of Muslims in our street who don't give a
damn what I drink or wear or ... well anything :-)

Mary

Old 22-05-2008, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adm" wrote in message

Nope. I've also made apple meringue pie (didn't have lemons), light
sponge
cakes, rich fruit cakes, wonderful huge game pies, lots of bread ... I
only
made Baked Alaska because I was challenged. I don't like commercial
ice-cream :-) I've never made it in a domestic oven though!

Superb! I only did the baked alaska for a challenge myself (although it
was me challenging me!). what's more, I've never made it in a domestic
oven either. I've never tried cakes in the bbq though and I take my hat
off to you for that!

It's no big deal, honestly.

One of my favourites is overnight cooked pork shoulder with apple wood to
flavour the smoke. Low and slow....put it on in the evening, keep the
vents mostly shut and take it off for lunch the next day. Needs to be a
big piece of pork, but when it's done it just falls apart....makes me
hungry just thinking about it.

That sounds good. Daughter has recently go some apple trees ... hmmmm ...

Mary

Charcoal takes longer to get hot and the heat can be regulated but not
as
swiftly as the gas one.

Depends how much of a hurry you're in :-)

I try to make sure that cooking on the Weber is at least a three beer
affair. There's no point hurrying these things!

Yebbut we drink wine, not beer. Some wag (a son) called it fall-down
grape
juice last time we cooked over charcoal for him.

He favours a chimonea(sp?) and fuels it with sticks he picks up - or
rather
he gets his girls to pick up from the garden.

I like to add seasoned fruit wood, and having a small orchard at the end
of my garden, have a lovely supply of apple, cherry, pear and quince wood
easily at hand.

While he drinks beer. And
wine. And vodka. And he has the cheek to joke about our consumption!

Mmmmm......I agree with beer (obviously) and the wine (of course), but I
prefer a nice long, cold g'n't over the vodka though.

Mary

Old 22-05-2008, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adm" wrote in message

How about roasted pineapple quarters with brown sugar, rum and sultanas
for dessert?

Like being boiled in treacle.

No thanks.

Others recommend the South African origin Cobb BBQ, as used by the BBC
Hairy
Bikers cookery/biking programmes.

I really like the look of those - was thinking about getting one to
complement the two Webers!

Yes, I'm interested, one of my friends has one but despite the number of
hints i keep dropping she hasn't invited me to go and watch :-(

Mary

Old 22-05-2008, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-05-22 13:05:54 +0100, Janet Tweedy
said:

By the way, my tip for steaks is inch+ thick rib-eyes from a good butcher,

I prefer it from a steer. Or one of our daughter's cows, which is what we've
been eating for years (different ones). Traditional Herefords, now OTM,
organic grass-fed, hung at least three weeks ...

salt, pepper and a smidge of EVOO

?

Mary

Old 22-05-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-05-22 18:45:09 +0100, "PK" said:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I know not strictly gardening but loosely relevant.
Just want to know recommendations for gas or charcoal (British charcoal
of course) and any features as a must have/
Family want a medium sized one to enjoy the hot weather we'll no doubt
be suffering this year. New daughter in law is Texan so she is
expecting to at least try some steaks!! Hopefully living in Aylesbury
she'll not expect too much by the time we get one and arrange some sort
of al fresco meal.
It usually involves me cooking but spotting weeds etc and wandering
around tidying up whilst everyone else eats
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

have a look at:

http://www.outdoorchef.com/index.php?nav=3,18,21,24

More of a multi function cooking device than simple BBQ.

Paella, pizza, griddled, stir fry, lo and slo American 'Q, roast,
baking and last bus not least plain old BBQ!

I wore my first one out over 10 years and am now 5 years into version 2.

pk

Looks nifty, but it's gas. I already have a multifunction gas oven. Oh
wait - that was my last house. Now I have a multifunction electric
oven....

I've never tried a gas bbq that tastes as good as charcoal or wood.

Old 22-05-2008, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 22, 5:19 pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:12:55 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 22, 3:46 pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2008 07:16:20 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
I don't keep the lid on only for large things like a leg of lamb in
fpoil to be done slow and long. What gadget?

We keep the lid on for everything we BBQ. RTFM?

See the other BBQ post for the charcoal igniting gadget.
--

Martin

What's RTFM?

Read The Manual. Where did that F came from?

You tell me!!!

I blame Wikipedia, missus.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

andhttp://tinyurl.com/qolv

)
--

Martin

Martin!!!! You are bad. :-)

Judith
Old 22-05-2008, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 22, 8:10 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

[...]

Maybe I should come and stay with you Mary, do you have a nice bottle
of white chilled wine? I'll bring the eggs lol.

Judith
Old 22-05-2008, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-05-22 13:05:54 +0100, Janet Tweedy

!

Or one of our daughter's cows, which is what we've
been eating for years (different ones). Traditional Herefords, now OTM,
organic grass-fed, hung at least three weeks ...

Lucky you.

Sadly, we don't have a beef herd in the family, but we are about a mile
from these guys:

http://www.rudgwickorganic.co.uk

A friend also owns an organic Hereford herd about 8 miles away, so we
do pretty well.

I used to be a bucher myself for a couple of years and the local
butcher in my village is a good friend so I manage to get all the
beautiful old black bits that the regular punters won't buy (because
meat is meant to be red and bleeding isn't it?)

salt, pepper and a smidge of EVOO

?

extra virgin olive oil

Mary

Old 22-05-2008, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Maybe I should come and stay with you Mary, do you have a nice bottle
of white chilled wine? I'll bring the eggs lol.

Judith

I have every kind of wine you can imagine, we're awash with it.

We're also awash with eggs at this time of year :-)

You'll have a Yorkshire welcome!

Mary

Old 22-05-2008, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-05-22 20:16:07 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

On 2008-05-22 13:05:54 +0100, Janet Tweedy
said:

[...]

sigh

Of course.

But don't tell above a dozen :-)

salt, pepper and a smidge of EVOO

?

extra virgin olive oil

Oh, right. Thanks.

Mary

Old 22-05-2008, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...
I know not strictly gardening but loosely relevant.
Just want to know recommendations for gas or charcoal (British charcoal of
course) and any features as a must have/
Family want a medium sized one to enjoy the hot weather we'll no doubt be
suffering this year. New daughter in law is Texan so she is expecting to
at least try some steaks!! Hopefully living in Aylesbury she'll not expect
too much by the time we get one and arrange some sort of al fresco meal.
It usually involves me cooking but spotting weeds etc and wandering around
tidying up whilst everyone else eats

When we both worked we found a charcoal BBQ just took too long to start up
if we fancied a BBQ during the working week and afterwards took time to
clean up.
We went for a gas Australian type BBQ which is ready to cook in under 10
mins and I would now not have anything else. Our present one is a three
burner, two heat the volcanic rock under the grill for the conventional BBQ
cooking and one under the flat plate for the onions, bacon, eggs, sliced
haloumi cheese .......
With the Ozzy type all the meal can be cooked on the BBQ, you don't need
someone to be inside cooking the onions in a pan.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-05-2008, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-05-22 20:14:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher" said:

"adm" wrote in message

How about roasted pineapple quarters with brown sugar, rum and sultanas
for dessert?

Like being boiled in treacle.

No thanks.

Others recommend the South African origin Cobb BBQ, as used by the BBC
Hairy
Bikers cookery/biking programmes.

I really like the look of those - was thinking about getting one to
complement the two Webers!

Yes, I'm interested, one of my friends has one but despite the number of
hints i keep dropping she hasn't invited me to go and watch :-(

Mary

I broke down and bought one today. it looks like a really nice bit of
kit, if somewhat small, but it's going to be just perfect for picnics
and things like that as it has it's own carry case (or for keeping one
grill meat free when we have a few veggies round).

I did some roast vegetables as a trial this afternoon (am just about to
go out for a curry, so bbq wasn't an option toight) and they came out
just great.

All in all, I think it's going to be a good addition to the stable.

Old 26-05-2008, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

When we both worked we found a charcoal BBQ just took too long to start up
if we fancied a BBQ during the working week and afterwards took time to
clean up.

Sure, when God made Time She made plenty of it ...

Life's for living, not hurrying!

Mary