Old 31-05-2008, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default weed killers

Hello,

I don't know anything about weed killers so I've been reading a few
bottle labels. It seems that there are two types: one that kills
everything above ground and those that kill everything above and below
ground. The problem with the former seems to be that with the roots
still alive the plant re-grows. Now if that is the case, what is the
point of these above-ground only weed killers? Why doesn't everyone
just manufacture/sell/buy/use the above and below ground weed killers?

I understand that glycophosphate is highly recommended. B&Q's own
brand had a similar though not identical ingredient. Is that pretty
much the same?

I see that sodium chlorate is a cheap and readily available weed
killer. Is this an above and below or above only weed killer?

I'm looking for something to stop grass growing between the patio
paving slabs BTW.

Thanks in advance.
Old 31-05-2008, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fred wrote:
Hello,

I don't know anything about weed killers so I've been reading a few
bottle labels. It seems that there are two types: one that kills
everything above ground and those that kill everything above and below
ground. The problem with the former seems to be that with the roots
still alive the plant re-grows. Now if that is the case, what is the
point of these above-ground only weed killers? Why doesn't everyone
just manufacture/sell/buy/use the above and below ground weed killers?

You can use the above-ground only weedkillers for annual plants. As they
kill topgrowth with a day, they will stop these weeds seeding. Also, it
won't matter too much if you get them on perennials or shrubs, as they will
usually regrow in time. They act like a flame gun - effective immediately.

I understand that glycophosphate is highly recommended. B&Q's own
brand had a similar though not identical ingredient. Is that pretty
much the same?

If it is glufosinate (rather than glyphosate), it acts in a completely
different way.

I see that sodium chlorate is a cheap and readily available weed
killer. Is this an above and below or above only weed killer?

It kills everything. It also tend to hang around a bit.

I'm looking for something to stop grass growing between the patio
paving slabs BTW.

Depending on what you have surrounding the patio slabs, you could use Sodium
Chlorate, or one of the other "Path clearing" weedkillers (usually a mixture
of two or more chemicals). These kill what's there, and prevent shoots
coming up, too. Anything that germinates hasn't got a chance. They work
for several months.

BUT, beware leaching into surrounding areas. If you have a lawn right up to
the patio, I wouldn't spray within a couple of feet of it, just in case.
Otherwise you have a strip of some nice brown grass for months on end, and
there will be no point in replacing or reseeding until the weedkillers have
becoame inactive.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 31-05-2008, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 31/05/08 09:57, Fred wrote:
Hello,

I don't know anything about weed killers so I've been reading a few
bottle labels. It seems that there are two types: one that kills
everything above ground and those that kill everything above and below
ground. The problem with the former seems to be that with the roots
still alive the plant re-grows. Now if that is the case, what is the
point of these above-ground only weed killers? Why doesn't everyone
just manufacture/sell/buy/use the above and below ground weed killers?

Well, the above ground killers (such as Weedol) are a lot, lot cheaper
and are good for quickly killing off annual weeds if you don't want to
hoe or pull the weeds out by hand. Annual weeds will not regrow from
roots if you hoe them.

The below ground weed killers are what you use to to get rid of
perennial weeds like nettle, dock, ground elder, bindweed, couch grass
etc as all of these will regrow even if you hoe them. But these types
of weed killer are much slower acting and a lot more expensive. The
brand name, Roundup, is typical of this type of weed killer but is
wickedly expensive. The active ingredient is called glyphosate or
glycophosphate , so shop around for the cheapest own brand available.
It can come as a concentrate (which you dilute) or as ready to use spray.

I understand that glycophosphate is highly recommended. B&Q's own
brand had a similar though not identical ingredient. Is that pretty
much the same?

It will be just as effective as the much more expensive Roundup.

I see that sodium chlorate is a cheap and readily available weed
killer. Is this an above and below or above only weed killer?

Sodium chlorate works above and below and is very effective as it kills
everything. But it can remain in the soil for up to six months which
would restrict any subsequent planting.

I'm looking for something to stop grass growing between the patio
paving slabs BTW.

Sodium chlorate would be fine for this. But you just need to be
confident that it is not going to leach out into areas that are
cultivated as it will kill those areas too.

The other alternative here is to use something like PathClear but that
seems like unnecessary expense. Other posters here might give a more
experienced view.

Thanks in advance.

No problem mate. But before you do anything... just read a few more
replies to your message in case I advised anything drastically wrong.

I don't wanna kill your garden!!

Ed
Old 31-05-2008, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ed ex@directory writes:
| On 31/05/08 09:57, Fred wrote:
|
| I understand that glycophosphate is highly recommended. B&Q's own
| brand had a similar though not identical ingredient. Is that pretty
| much the same?
|
| It will be just as effective as the much more expensive Roundup.

Glyphosate is very cheap for grass between paving slabs - you need
only half strength and one application, just on the grass.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

snip

Glyphosate is very cheap for grass between paving slabs - you need
only half strength and one application, just on the grass.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren

I agree very much with the above- but be carefull to shield any surrounding
grass/plants. Glyphosate is" soaked up" by the leaves and is best applied on
a dry sunny day when plants are growing well, and it works really well on
grass.

You don't have to pay for the branded names as you've found out already and
it is usually cheaper to buy stuff that you have to dilute yourself- try
sunday markets for best prices.I've read it has a shelf life of 2-3 years!

Weed killers Paddy United Kingdom 16 02-05-2007 07:21 AM
weed/grass killers RB Lawns 2 19-04-2006 12:03 AM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer. Malcolm United Kingdom 517 02-06-2003 04:20 PM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphosate Keith Dancey United Kingdom 2 22-05-2003 12:56 PM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphosate aka Roundup, the hidden killer. Malcolm United Kingdom 0 15-05-2003 10:45 AM