Old 25-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Jo Ling

Default Dying Bay Tree

Hello

I've just discovered this newsgroup, and hope some of you will be able to
offer some answers to our prob:

We bought a bay tree a couple of years ago, which sits in a pot outside our
front door. We've been doing all the right things to it, we think:
protecting it from frost, making sure it's not too dry, re-potting when
necessary ...

And then quite suddenly a few weeks ago, all the leaves went grey and dry.
If you rub the tree, the leaves just break off. It looks a sight, I can
tell you.

Hubby has re-potted it, and is making sure it's getting enough water, but
after two weeks it still hasn't improved much.

What has happened to it? Is it beyond redemption? Does anyone have any
ideas as to what we can do to make it better?

TIA

Jo

Old 25-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Bill Brewer

The Bay Tree is usually a hardy plant, but not so yours it seems. You say in
your message that it has been outside your front door, is it sheltered there
or open to cold draughts? Bay trees *do not* like draughts, especially cold
ones which will often cause the leaves to discolour and/or eventually kill
them. Give your tree the 'thumb nail test'. Scratch away some of the branch
bark with your nail, if the under lying wood is green, then your tree is
still alive. Make sure that you have it in the correct compost mix for pot
or tub growing. Two parts loam, one part coarse sand and one part
leaf-mould. John Innes No.3 compost is fine if you can't mix your own. Don't
forget to trim your tree to shape at least twice during the summer and pull
away any suckers that appear from the base. Keep it sheltered and warm and
it might pull through and start growing new leaves.

Good luck,
Bill Brewer
------------------------------

Old 25-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Jo Ling

Bill Brewer wrote in message
Give your tree the 'thumb nail test'. Scratch away some of the branch
bark with your nail, if the under lying wood is green, then your tree is
still alive.

Ta. My 9-year-old daughter claims it is indeed alive, having already done
the above-mentioned test.

Make sure that you have it in the correct compost mix for pot
or tub growing. Two parts loam, one part coarse sand and one part
leaf-mould. John Innes No.3 compost is fine if you can't mix your own.

Ta!

Don't
forget to trim your tree to shape at least twice during the summer and

pull
away any suckers that appear from the base. Keep it sheltered and warm and
it might pull through and start growing new leaves.

Might? (tremble tremble)

Good luck,
Bill Brewer

Any relation to Stan Stewer? Peter Gurney, Peter Davey, Daniel Whitton ...

Sorry, bet you've heard that thousands of times.

Thanks for your help!

Jo

Old 27-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Bill Brewer

"Jo Ling" wrote in a message:

Any relation to Stan Stewer? Peter Gurney, Peter Davey, Daniel Whitton
Sorry, bet you've heard that thousands of times.

No relation to any of them, inclucing Tom Cobley. As I grow more aged, fewer
people have heard the song so I now live in relative peace. Your
nine-years-old daughter is obviously a gardener in the making, good for her!

Bill

Dying Bay Tree labied United Kingdom 5 21-04-2011 07:22 PM
Dying carob tree in SF Bay area Rima Neas Gardening 3 05-06-2007 08:26 AM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Laurel Nobilis - Bay tree Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 02:06 PM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM