GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tree id request (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/175751-tree-id-request.html)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 10-06-2008 01:11 PM

tree id request

Yesterday I passed a flowering tree alongside a country road. I'm
assuming it was planted - some of the other trees there, such as
large-leaved limes would have been planted.

It's not a tree I recognise, but it looks as if it belongs to family
Rosaceae and subfamily Maloideae. However it's rather late flowering for
an apple, pear or whitebeam, which were my first thoughts. Anyone
recognise it?

http://florulaehortenses.blogspot.co...eous-tree.html
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Dave Poole 10-06-2008 06:03 PM

tree id request

Looks like Crataegus x lavallei. It's a fine small tree that really
should be more widely grown. The late spring/early summer flowers
are followed by very showy red berries and glossy foliage takes on
very rich bronze and red shades in autumn. Even the bark becomes very
attractive on mature specimens, so it has something to offer
throughout the year.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 10-06-2008 10:36 PM

tree id request

In message
,
Dave Poole writes
Looks like Crataegus x lavallei. It's a fine small tree that really
should be more widely grown. The late spring/early summer flowers
are followed by very showy red berries and glossy foliage takes on
very rich bronze and red shades in autumn. Even the bark becomes very
attractive on mature specimens, so it has something to offer
throughout the year.

Thanks. I guess it was the late-flowering that threw me - even the
plants round the corner that I've got down as Crataegus prunifolia have
finished flowering, never mind the common hawthorn.

Now to wonder what it's doing on a country road side.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sacha[_3_] 10-06-2008 11:36 PM

tree id request

On 10/6/08 22:36, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message
,
Dave Poole writes
Looks like Crataegus x lavallei. It's a fine small tree that really
should be more widely grown. The late spring/early summer flowers
are followed by very showy red berries and glossy foliage takes on
very rich bronze and red shades in autumn. Even the bark becomes very
attractive on mature specimens, so it has something to offer
throughout the year.

Thanks. I guess it was the late-flowering that threw me - even the
plants round the corner that I've got down as Crataegus prunifolia have
finished flowering, never mind the common hawthorn.

Now to wonder what it's doing on a country road side.

Same as a Paulownia is doing at the bottom of our garden - birds or breezes
perhaps!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

echinosum 11-06-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley (Post 797613)
Now to wonder what it's doing on a country road side.

People have been known to add to the biodiversity of country road-sides with shrubs/trees surplus to requirements...