Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tree id request

Yesterday I passed a flowering tree alongside a country road. I'm
assuming it was planted - some of the other trees there, such as
large-leaved limes would have been planted.

It's not a tree I recognise, but it looks as if it belongs to family
Rosaceae and subfamily Maloideae. However it's rather late flowering for
an apple, pear or whitebeam, which were my first thoughts. Anyone
recognise it?

http://florulaehortenses.blogspot.co...eous-tree.html
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-06-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Looks like Crataegus x lavallei. It's a fine small tree that really
should be more widely grown. The late spring/early summer flowers
are followed by very showy red berries and glossy foliage takes on
very rich bronze and red shades in autumn. Even the bark becomes very
attractive on mature specimens, so it has something to offer
throughout the year.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Poole writes
Looks like Crataegus x lavallei. It's a fine small tree that really
should be more widely grown. The late spring/early summer flowers
are followed by very showy red berries and glossy foliage takes on
very rich bronze and red shades in autumn. Even the bark becomes very
attractive on mature specimens, so it has something to offer
throughout the year.

Thanks. I guess it was the late-flowering that threw me - even the
plants round the corner that I've got down as Crataegus prunifolia have
finished flowering, never mind the common hawthorn.

Now to wonder what it's doing on a country road side.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
Now to wonder what it's doing on a country road side.
People have been known to add to the biodiversity of country road-sides with shrubs/trees surplus to requirements...

Request Poulan chainsaw Carb Tune-Up Procedure Ken Shelton Lawns 2 18-11-2009 01:48 AM
Tree Identification Request Bigus United Kingdom 3 16-04-2004 12:35 AM
UK lILLY REQUEST K Ponds (alternative) 0 23-03-2003 04:20 PM
[IBC] Per request of JKLewis.. Donald Henry Shaw Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 02:08 AM
Plant ID request Cindy Gardening 1 13-03-2003 01:56 AM