GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fast growing climber needed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/175752-fast-growing-climber-needed.html)

Mary Fisher 11-06-2008 04:21 PM

Fast growing climber needed

"Ruby Hare" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 10:07 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 10/6/08 20:51, in article
,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message

from Ruby Hare contains these words:

Definitely not Russian Vine - malicious suggestion! The problem is going
be the pot. Some things will be happy in one for a while but not for ever.
Is there no alternative to a pot?

Eek- the RV sounds scarey and I will leave well alone! I guess the
other option to a pot is to dig up a few stone tile thingies. It's
doable.

RV isn't at all scary, it does what you said you wanted and its
flowers are pretty and attract honey bees. It's not difficult to keep it
trimmed.

Mary

Sacha[_3_] 11-06-2008 05:08 PM

Fast growing climber needed

On 11/6/08 16:21, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Ruby Hare" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 10:07 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 10/6/08 20:51, in article
,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message

from Ruby Hare contains these words:

Definitely not Russian Vine - malicious suggestion! The problem is going
be the pot. Some things will be happy in one for a while but not for ever.
Is there no alternative to a pot?

Eek- the RV sounds scarey and I will leave well alone! I guess the
other option to a pot is to dig up a few stone tile thingies. It's
doable.

RV isn't at all scary, it does what you said you wanted and its
flowers are pretty and attract honey bees. It's not difficult to keep it
trimmed.

Mary

I sincerely hope the OP does not take this seriously. RV is the climber
equivalent of hedging with leylandii in a small garden.
RV is fine if there is a large area where it is allowed to have its head.
Have you seen the dimensions of the trellis the OP wants to cover? It's
roughly 6'x8'! And did you read it is to screen a neighbour's kennels? My
ex neighbours grew this up a granite wall 10' high and 25' long. It came
over the wall into my courtyard and positively devoured an Albertine rose,
year after year. I trimmed it back on my side about 5 times a year and
still it was a perfect menace. Attracting bees where there are dogs running
around or kennelled next door might not be a wise idea.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Alan 11-06-2008 05:43 PM

Fast growing climber needed

In message , Sacha
wrote

Russian Vine is a serious thug and often mistakenly planted by people
looking for a 'quick fix'.

The original poster wants something in a large pot. If she ties a
Russian Vine and it doesn't suit then it's not going be any trouble
removing it. With a tiny bit of maintenance every six months or so a RV
wouldn't be a problem and it meets the requirement of being fast growing
with flowers.

Someone in
this village planted it about 5 years ago and is still trying to get rid of
it.

But the OP would just remove the pot containing 100 percent of the
roots.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 11-06-2008 07:07 PM

Fast growing climber needed

In article a615cb6d-d970-473a-abc3-
, says...
On Jun 10, 10:47*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article 028b88d1-8c50-40e9-ba9f-
,
says... Hello alll,

Please could someone reccomend something which could grow up a trellis
ASAP, has lots of foliage (flowers optional although would be nice),
and can happily sit in a large pot. Or am I asking too much? ;)

Many thanks,
Wendy

Lonicera similis delavyia

Just googled for that. Very pretty - is it honeysuckle?

Wendy

Yes, but not native.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sheila 11-06-2008 07:19 PM

[...]

My RV is at the top of the Leylandii now!!

Rusty Hinge 2 11-06-2008 07:29 PM

Fast growing climber needed

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

If the microclimate is suitable one could try growing Eccremocarpus
scaber (Chilean Glory Vine) - though it does have tendencies to
annuality.

I should have some seeds of that, hidden in some dark corner in a
polythene bag.*

* Applies to the corner or the bag...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

beccabunga 11-06-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Hare[_2_] (Post 797719)
On Jun 10, 10:04 pm, beccabunga beccabunga.
wrote:
'Ruby Hare[_2_ Wrote:

Before we start suggesting things like Russian vine - how tall is the
trellis and how wide?

Hadn't really got that far. Basically it's to try to screen next
door's kennel stuffed full of dogs. I suppose the area is about 6-8
foot long, and the height maybe up to 6 ft.

Would you be prepared to have an annual this year
and plan for a perennial for next year?

Possibly.

Wendy

Then this year put in two or three morning glories, round an infant evergreen climber. Possible evergreens: variegated ivies [ Paddy's Pride had big yellow and green leaves]; Clematis armandii [evergreen leaves, winter flowers, highly scented]; Chilean Coral Vine (Berberidopsis corallina); Clematis cirrhosa Freckles; Yellow Star Jasmine (Trachelospernum asiaticum). Your pot will have to be quite deep for anything permanent.

Sacha[_3_] 12-06-2008 01:54 PM

Fast growing climber needed

On 11/6/08 19:19, in article ,
"Sheila" wrote:

[...]

It's a menace and having it against a wall shared with a neighbour is a
horrible idea!

Sacha[_3_] 12-06-2008 01:56 PM

Fast growing climber needed

On 11/6/08 17:43, in article , "Alan"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
wrote

Russian Vine is a serious thug and often mistakenly planted by people
looking for a 'quick fix'.

The original poster wants something in a large pot. If she ties a
Russian Vine and it doesn't suit then it's not going be any trouble
removing it. With a tiny bit of maintenance every six months or so a RV
wouldn't be a problem and it meets the requirement of being fast growing
with flowers.

Someone in
this village planted it about 5 years ago and is still trying to get rid of
it.

But the OP would just remove the pot containing 100 percent of the
roots.

There's no 'if' about the fact she'd be wasting her money. Recommending an
RV to cover a piece of trellis of that size is overkill to the nth degree
and will not improve neighbourly relations, IMO and IME. People who plant
them in relatively small spaces don't know much about them or about
gardening, IME. They're seen as a quick solution to a small problem and
rapidly become the problem themselves.