Old 10-06-2008, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fast growing climber needed

Hello alll,

Please could someone reccomend something which could grow up a trellis
ASAP, has lots of foliage (flowers optional although would be nice),
and can happily sit in a large pot. Or am I asking too much?

Many thanks,
Wendy
Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Ruby Hare wrote
Hello alll,

Please could someone reccomend something which could grow up a trellis
ASAP, has lots of foliage (flowers optional although would be nice),
and can happily sit in a large pot. Or am I asking too much?

Russian vine - nice white flowers.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 10-06-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message
, Ruby
Hare wrote
Hello alll,

Please could someone reccomend something which could grow up a trellis
ASAP, has lots of foliage (flowers optional although would be nice),
and can happily sit in a large pot. Or am I asking too much?

Russian vine - nice white flowers.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Beware very very vigorous and strangles all in its way . Had to cut one down
a few years ago was like jack and the beanstalk

Old 10-06-2008, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Ruby Hare contains these words:

Please could someone reccomend something which could grow up a trellis
ASAP, has lots of foliage (flowers optional although would be nice),
and can happily sit in a large pot. Or am I asking too much?

Russian vine?

(Don't let it out of the pot under any circumstances.)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Hare[_2_] View Post
Hello alll,

Please could someone reccomend something which could grow up a trellis
ASAP, has lots of foliage (flowers optional although would be nice),
and can happily sit in a large pot. Or am I asking too much?

Many thanks,
Wendy
#

Before we start suggesting things like Russian vine - how tall is the trellis and how wide? Would you be prepared to have an annual this year and plan for a perennial for next year?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 028b88d1-8c50-40e9-ba9f-
,
says...
Hello alll,

Please could someone reccomend something which could grow up a trellis
ASAP, has lots of foliage (flowers optional although would be nice),
and can happily sit in a large pot. Or am I asking too much?

Many thanks,
Wendy

Lonicera similis delavyia
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 11-06-2008, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

beccabunga wrote:

Before we start suggesting things like Russian vine - how tall is the
trellis and how wide?

This is definitely the main consideration, after which the pot size
will also determine the final choice. Any permanent climbing plant
will need a decent volume of compost otherwise it will simply take off
and then stop making significant growth after the first season. The
very minimum size should be 30cms. in diameter at the top and at least
40cms. deep, but ideally it ought to be 45cms x 60cms deeo.and better
still a 60cms diameter pot. Don't baulk at pot size, it really is
very important. Plant roots must have enough room to grow and using a
piffling little pot, will result in very disappointing growth and a
short life for the plant. Beside, small pots become so root-compacted
that it is impossible to keep them sufficiently moist in summer.

If you choose a terra cotta or wooden container ie. one made from
porous materials, it is a good ideal to line the sides only with
polythene before filling. This will help reduce moisture loss in hot
weather. Make sure that the drainage is adequate though - absolutely
vital during our wet winters. Containers never have enough drainage
holes, so you need to get the drill out and double the number
provided. Don't forget to 'crock' the bottom of the container well.
A good 8cm. deep layer of broken pot sherds, stones or coarse grit
will prevent compost washing down to block the drainage holes.

The next consideration must be given to the compost used. None of
that multi-purpose stuff, worse still the peat-free multi-purpose
types. They completely leach nutrients in no time at all and cannot
hold on to essential trace elements. Fine for temporary bedding
plants or hanging baskets, but utterly useless for long term plants.
Multi-purpose or even grow-bag compost can be used as a component
though, but added to a good quality soil-based ie. John Innes No3.
The ratio I've found that works extremely well is 4 parts John Innes
to 1 part multi-purpose. I invariably add a good helping (eqiv. to a
half part) of perlite to maintain good aeration at the root, but
washed sharp sand (not builders) or horticultural grit will do.

As for fast-ish growing cover that won't become a total embarrassment
in later years you might look at the various Vitis (grape vine)
species and varieties. Most are satisfyingly rapid, seem to take to a
life in large pots and provide they aren't allowed to dry out and give
attractive cover throughout the growing season. Vitis Brandt' can be
persuaded to grow in a large pot and makes a very pleasing summer
screen. In autumn the foliage takes on bronze, burgundy and orange
shade before falling and it will produce a fair number of small grapes
for interest. These will be sour until well after you are sure they
are ripe, but once they have sweetened up, they are pleasant enough.

You sound as though you're in a hurry, which is a pity because the
purple leaved grape - Vitis vinifera 'purpurea; is superb, but grows
at a less urgent pace. It's no slouch, but can take a couple of
seasons to fill a typical 1.8m (6ft.) square trellis panel and must
have sun for the best colour.. In sunny site, any of the culinary
varieties will do as well and some of the newer varieties have quite
pleasing foliage, but you wont get as good autumn colour.

Wisteria also settles in to a large pot very well and will commence
flowering sooner than it would if planted in the ground. It's a fast
grower and provides dense cover in a very short time. It will carry
masses of blue or white flowers each spring and look pretty
spectacular as a result. Go for Wisteria sinensis, it has shorter
racemes of flower than W, floribunda, but at least you wont have to
wait a long time for the flowers. Again, it needs plenty of sun.

As Charlie mentioned, several of the 'honeysuckles' (Lonicera) make
very good choices and I wholeheartedly second his recommendation of L.
similis 'delavayi'. However, you must be vigilant with the watering
in summer, because if kept too dry for too long (for that read
'dryish'), they can be martyrs to mildew and look to be in a very
sorry state by mid-summer.

Whatever you chose, you should not forget to provide additional
feeding during summer. You can go the lazy route and push in half a
dozen plugs of slow release pellets each spring, or be more
traditional and provide a liquid feed of a general purpose type every
3 - 4 weeks. You will also need to replace the top couple of inches
of compost with fresh every spring.

HTH

Old 11-06-2008, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 10:07*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 10/6/08 20:51, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message

from Ruby Hare contains these words:

Definitely not Russian Vine - malicious suggestion! *The problem is going to
be the pot. *Some things will be happy in one for a while but not for ever.
Is there no alternative to a pot?

Eek- the RV sounds scarey and I will leave well alone! I guess the
other option to a pot is to dig up a few stone tile thingies. It's
doable.

Wendy
Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 10:47*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article 028b88d1-8c50-40e9-ba9f-
,
says... Hello alll,

Please could someone reccomend something which could grow up a trellis
ASAP, has lots of foliage (flowers optional although would be nice),
and can happily sit in a large pot. Or am I asking too much?

Many thanks,
Wendy

Lonicera similis delavyia

Just googled for that. Very pretty - is it honeysuckle?

Wendy
Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 10:04*pm, beccabunga beccabunga.
wrote:
'Ruby Hare[_2_ Wrote:

Before we start suggesting things like Russian vine - how tall is the
trellis and how wide?

Hadn't really got that far. Basically it's to try to screen next
door's kennel stuffed full of dogs. I suppose the area is about 6-8
foot long, and the height maybe up to 6 ft.

Would you be prepared to have an annual this year
and plan for a perennial for next year?

Possibly.

Wendy

Old 11-06-2008, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 8:52*am, Dave Poole wrote:
beccabunga wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the detailed info. There is obviously a fair bit to think
about, but a grape vine is an intriguing idea. Many thanks to all for
your responses.

Wendy