GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cow or Horse the Sequel (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/17603-cow-horse-sequel.html)

TheScullster 25-04-2003 05:08 PM

Cow or Horse the Sequel

If I go with horse, how long do I have to leave it to break down before
digging in?
I intend to use it to rejuvenate a border from which we are removing Laucon
firs.
Probably replace firs with hedging - pyracantha, laurel, escallonia etc

TIA

Phil

Sue C 25-04-2003 08:23 PM

Cow or Horse the Sequel

TheScullster asks:
"If I go with horse, how long do I have to leave it to break down before
digging in?
I intend to use it to rejuvenate a border from which we are removing Laucon
firs.
Probably replace firs with hedging - pyracantha, laurel, escallonia etc"

My book says 2 months ... and 12 months for cow manure.

bnd777 25-04-2003 10:57 PM

Cow or Horse the Sequel

Its never a good idea to use fresh manure on any bed except in the winter
Much better to use mature compost
Since you have removed Lawsons Conifers you will find you will need tons of
compost to restore the soil condition as all conifers double strip the soil
of all nutrients and turn it acid