Old 19-06-2008, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID this small reviving conifer, please?

Hi.

When we moved in to this house a year ago we found the previous owners
had discarded this potted conifer over the back fence. It had one or
two signs of life on it so while we got on with other things we put it
in a shaded part of the garden and have kept it well watered over the
last 12 months. About two months ago it had hardly any needles on it,
so I put a good sprinkling of iron sulphate above the roots & kept
watering. Now it has a reasonable showing of blue-grey needles in tiny
individual clusters on several branches, none on others.

Can anyone tell me what it is?

And can anyone tell me if this is its natural state, i.e. just little
clusters of needles at the end of stalks, but no general overall
coverage.

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...ingconifer.jpg

Please ignore the cluster of blue grass just to the right - it gives the
impression of good growth in the conifer in that area!

Thanks.

Eddy.

Old 19-06-2008, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Eddy writes
Hi.

When we moved in to this house a year ago we found the previous owners
had discarded this potted conifer over the back fence. It had one or
two signs of life on it so while we got on with other things we put it
in a shaded part of the garden and have kept it well watered over the
last 12 months. About two months ago it had hardly any needles on it,
so I put a good sprinkling of iron sulphate above the roots & kept
watering. Now it has a reasonable showing of blue-grey needles in tiny
individual clusters on several branches, none on others.

Can anyone tell me what it is?

And can anyone tell me if this is its natural state, i.e. just little
clusters of needles at the end of stalks, but no general overall
coverage.

No, it's not it's normal state. But the trouble with conifers is that
they don't generally re-sprout from old wood or (of course) dead wood.
I'd guess that the branches with no needles are probably dead. You can
try cutting back gently bit-by-bit on these. Live will have light colour
in middle, dead will be brown all through. If they are dead, remove
them. Then see what you have left and how much you like it.

It's a very attractive tree, and I think it would look reasonable if you
got rid of the big largely dead branch.
--
Kay
Old 19-06-2008, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
No, it's not it's normal state. But the trouble with conifers is that
they don't generally re-sprout from old wood or (of course) dead wood.
I'd guess that the branches with no needles are probably dead. You can
try cutting back gently bit-by-bit on these. Live will have light colour
in middle, dead will be brown all through. If they are dead, remove
them. Then see what you have left and how much you like it.

It's a very attractive tree, and I think it would look reasonable if you
got rid of the big largely dead branch.

Thanks, Kay. It's worth a go, isn't it. If it doesn't fill out at
least I'll have tried. Will take your advice re cutting back carefully,
bit-by-bit.

By the way, the Blue Cedar (posted about earlier) has got dramatically
worse over the past week. I'll hang on just in case there's a
last-minute reversal. Tragic that the previous owners bought these
beautiful shrubs and just didn't put them in in suitable places or care
for them sufficiently. Another sad plant was a variegated rhododendron:
planted in full sun and full wind, the sides of the leaves appeared
burnt. Anyway gave it daily watering and some iron and it has given us
lovely blossom and, now, fresh healthy new leaves. It's in the wrong
place still, but I think I'll leave it there. It may not survive a
move.

Eddy.