Old 25-04-2003, 06:20 PM
sheridan whiteside

Default Power lawn rakers

Okay, so now this novice has a nice black lawn with green bits growing
through, thanks to Evergreen Complete! I'm not even contemplating
manual raking, due to the size of lawn (13x20m). So, I'm off to get an
electric raker.

Questions:

1. What features should I look for in a power raker?

2. What are the best conditions to do the raking? (wet/dry,
before/after cutting, etc)

3. How long should I wait before raking? (Evergreen treatment only
week ago)

4. Any other hints gratefully accepted!

Much obliged
Old 25-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Paul Kelly

"sheridan whiteside" wrote in message
om...
Okay, so now this novice has a nice black lawn with green bits growing
through, thanks to Evergreen Complete! I'm not even contemplating
manual raking, due to the size of lawn (13x20m). So, I'm off to get an
electric raker.

Questions:

1. What features should I look for in a power raker?

2. What are the best conditions to do the raking? (wet/dry,
before/after cutting, etc)

3. How long should I wait before raking? (Evergreen treatment only
week ago)

4. Any other hints gratefully accepted!

Much obliged

First, either build a compost heap the size of a silage clamp, or order
industrial quantities of bin bags 'cos you will NOT believe just how much
dead moss and other crud a lawn rake will drag out!

1. The basic Black and Decker type does a good job. Over your area it will
take a long time but bigger ones start to cost serious money. You could hire
one?

2. Dry. After cutting. If wet you risk too much damage to the turf.

3. Another week.

4. assuming the black bits are moss, now you need to identify and treat the
cause of the moss problem! Describe the situation some more.

pk

Old 25-04-2003, 07:44 PM
bnd777

The most basic Black and Decker one will do the job admirably
Just be prepared for a huge pile of thatch to compost

Old 26-04-2003, 06:33 PM

I was reading an article in the sun (sorry!) about moss and they were
critisising the bbc gardeners world programme for giving bad advice. They
recommended putting the moss on a compost heap, but the article reckoned
that it would never break down and you should just get rid (maybe use some
of it for lining hanging baskets etc.). Who is right?

Old 26-04-2003, 07:44 PM
sheridan whiteside

Thanks for that. I had planned to buy a new 400 litre compost bin
anyway, sounds like I will need it. The situation is: new house,
previous owners not interested in lawn! Having said that, it is rather
shaded (nine trees in garden), so I suppose I will just have to keep
on top of things.

SW

Old 26-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Paul Kelly

"a" wrote in message
I was reading an article in the sun (sorry!) about moss and they were
critisising the bbc gardeners world programme for giving bad advice. They
recommended putting the moss on a compost heap, but the article reckoned
that it would never break down and you should just get rid (maybe use some
of it for lining hanging baskets etc.). Who is right?

If it's live don't compost. If it has been "moss killered" it is ok to
compost.

pk