Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shredder options

Hi,

Can anyone make suggestions about getting a replacement garden shredder?

I seem to be generating a lot of woody material and I want to shred up
to 1.5" diameter cuttings. Anything larger I use for log fires.

My current shredder is an Atika that has blades in it. These seem to get
blunt pretty rapidly, and are difficult to resharpen - they do have two
sides and can be turned around.

When it's working, the shredder is fine, but seems to clog with tedious
regularity.

thanks

dan

Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Jul, 10:02, Dan Smithers wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone make suggestions about getting a replacement garden shredder?

I seem to be generating a lot of woody material and I want to shred up
to 1.5" diameter cuttings. Anything larger I use for log fires.

My current shredder is an Atika that has blades in it. These seem to get
blunt pretty rapidly, and are difficult to resharpen - they do have two
sides and can be turned around.

When it's working, the shredder is fine, but seems to clog with tedious
regularity.

thanks

dan

Hi,
I bought a petrol-driven Eliet. I have the next to smallest, but the
smallest may do you.
Their shredding technique yields an excellent texture (with-the-grain)
ideal for composting.
I am very pleased with mine if you have the ££ in the budget, space
for it, and long-term use.
Excellent build quality...maybe share cost with friends or
family..great tool.
Good luck.
David G
Old 01-07-2008, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dan Smithers wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone make suggestions about getting a replacement garden shredder?

I seem to be generating a lot of woody material and I want to shred up
to 1.5" diameter cuttings. Anything larger I use for log fires.

My current shredder is an Atika that has blades in it. These seem to get
blunt pretty rapidly, and are difficult to resharpen - they do have two
sides and can be turned around.

When it's working, the shredder is fine, but seems to clog with tedious
regularity.

And there seems to be no source of replacement blades!

In a Which survey The Bosch ATX Rapid 2200 came out on top (available
larger Homebase ). I marked it down to buy when my Atika gets too annoying.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul Luton wrote:
Dan Smithers wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone make suggestions about getting a replacement garden shredder?

I seem to be generating a lot of woody material and I want to shred up
to 1.5" diameter cuttings. Anything larger I use for log fires.

My current shredder is an Atika that has blades in it. These seem to get
blunt pretty rapidly, and are difficult to resharpen - they do have two
sides and can be turned around.

When it's working, the shredder is fine, but seems to clog with tedious
regularity.

And there seems to be no source of replacement blades!

I did get a replacement set of blades, but they weren't as good as the
original ones. I seem to remember they came in about £17 + postage.
Seems quite a lot for a couple of pieces of carbon steel.

In a Which survey The Bosch ATX Rapid 2200 came out on top (available
larger Homebase ). I marked it down to buy when my Atika gets too annoying.

Thanks for the suggestion.

dan
Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

gilli wrote:
[...]

I did think about getting a petrol one - I'm a big fan of petrol powered
garden tools with a petrol strimmer, and petrol light sabre (or is it a
hedge trimmer?) as they are generally more powerful and don't need long
leads with their associated hazards (tripping, cutting etc).

When I asked my local garden machinery shop about it, I was put off by
the salesman who said that they were rather noisy and expensive.

I might look into it again.

thanks

dan

Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Dan Smithers writes
Paul Luton wrote:
Dan Smithers wrote:
[...]

For lots of woody stuff the Bosch ATX Quiet 2200 might be a better
option.

This uses a cog/plate arrangement to shred. Not as small shreds as the
blade type but supposed to deal with woody stuff better/faster.

One of the more expensive electric ones though about GBP250, Aminster
are doing it with a couple of freebies and free delivery

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-B...Garden-Shredde
r-20277.htm

Note the model down the range the Quiet 2000 uses a spiral screw type
mechanism.

The Rapid models use a spinning blade.

This might be a useful page:

http://www.fredshed.co.uk/boschshredders.htm

As you might guess i'm pondering shreddrs at the moment as well.
--
Chris French

Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have the bosch 2000hp -very pleasant to use , its a few years old now and
was bought as "A" grade from an ebay shop £110 delivered- about half price.
The actual capacity is debatable as generally I don't put anything more than
an inch thick into it.