GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My capsicum and aubergine plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/176523-my-capsicum-aubergine-plants.html)

Mary Fisher 02-07-2008 04:46 PM

My capsicum and aubergine plants

Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and with
a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse staging and
I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self: ask Spouse to
make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

Mary

Bob Hobden 02-07-2008 04:52 PM

My capsicum and aubergine plants

"Mary Fisher" wrote ...
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and
with a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse
staging and I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self:
ask Spouse to make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

I've never bothered but then I've always grown them outside.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Mary Fisher 02-07-2008 04:56 PM

My capsicum and aubergine plants

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote ...
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and
with a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse
staging and I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self:
ask Spouse to make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

I've never bothered but then I've always grown them outside.

Forgotten where you are but I don't think it's Yorkshire ... :-)

Mary

Nick Maclaren 02-07-2008 05:08 PM

My capsicum and aubergine plants

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and with
| a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse staging and
| I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self: ask Spouse to
| make something.
|
| So far so good, now I need more advice please.
|
| There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
| aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

You shouldn't, but it wouldn't do any harm.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sandy 02-07-2008 05:31 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and with
a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse staging and
I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self: ask Spouse to
make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

Mary

My peppers and aubergines sound to be at the same stage as yours Mary.

I find that leaving the greenhouse door half open will attract bees and
other pollinators inside so I'm hoping that they will do the job for me
and produce lots of lovely fruit!

I do have a few pots of flowers in there too, as well as tomatoes, so
maybe this is what attracts them.

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_206_] 02-07-2008 06:38 PM

My capsicum and aubergine plants

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and
with a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse
staging and I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self:
ask Spouse to make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

Mary

No, well I don't and they set fruit well.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Mary Fisher 02-07-2008 07:38 PM

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and
with a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse
staging and I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self:
ask Spouse to make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

Mary

No, well I don't and they set fruit well.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the fruit.

Mary

Rusty Hinge 2 02-07-2008 09:56 PM

My capsicum and aubergine plants

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and
with a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse
staging and I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to
self:
ask Spouse to make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

Mary

No, well I don't and they set fruit well.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the fruit.

I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
aubergines!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Bob Hobden 02-07-2008 11:11 PM

My capsicum and aubergine plants

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote
I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
aubergines!

Then you have never tasted a properly made Mousaka.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Sacha[_3_] 02-07-2008 11:15 PM

My capsicum and aubergine plants

On 2/7/08 23:11, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote
I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
aubergines!

Then you have never tasted a properly made Mousaka.

Or Imam baldi or Melanzana alla parmigiana. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Mary Fisher 03-07-2008 08:50 AM

My capsicum and aubergine plants

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
aubergines!

You've never cooked them properly :-)

Mary

Nick Maclaren 03-07-2008 09:00 AM

"Mary Fisher" writes:
| "Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
| k...
|
| I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
| aubergines!
|
| You've never cooked them properly :-)

To be fair, some people don't like them even cooked properly.

I used not to, when I was younger and hypersensitive to bitterness.
And their actual taste is distinctive enough to be something that at
least some people will dislike.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rusty Hinge 2 03-07-2008 08:38 PM

My capsicum and aubergine plants

The message
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| "Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
| k...
|
| I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
| aubergines!
|
| You've never cooked them properly :-)

To be fair, some people don't like them even cooked properly.

I used not to, when I was younger and hypersensitive to bitterness.
And their actual taste is distinctive enough to be something that at
least some people will dislike.

It's the very lack of flavour which makes them uninteresting to me. I
don't dislike them, but I'd just as soon eat cotton wool.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Nick Maclaren 03-07-2008 10:24 PM

My capsicum and aubergine plants

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| |
| | I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
| | aubergines!
| |
| | You've never cooked them properly :-)
|
| To be fair, some people don't like them even cooked properly.
|
| I used not to, when I was younger and hypersensitive to bitterness.
| And their actual taste is distinctive enough to be something that at
| least some people will dislike.
|
| It's the very lack of flavour which makes them uninteresting to me. I
| don't dislike them, but I'd just as soon eat cotton wool.

I know what you mean. I like them, quite a lot, but sometimes they
seem to taste of nothing. It seems to be a combination of the actual
aubergine and way of cooking them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mary Fisher 04-07-2008 10:20 AM

"Mary Fisher" writes:
| "Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
| k...
|
| I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone
eats
| aubergines!
|
| You've never cooked them properly :-)

To be fair, some people don't like them even cooked properly.

I used not to, when I was younger and hypersensitive to bitterness.
And their actual taste is distinctive enough to be something that at
least some people will dislike.

It's the very lack of flavour which makes them uninteresting to me. I
don't dislike them, but I'd just as soon eat cotton wool.

Their flavour isn't overpowering but it's distinctive and we like it.

Any particular type of cotton wool?

Mary