Old 02-07-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My capsicum and aubergine plants

Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and with
a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse staging and
I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self: ask Spouse to
make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

Mary

Old 02-07-2008, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote ...
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and
with a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse
staging and I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self:
ask Spouse to make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

I've never bothered but then I've always grown them outside.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-07-2008, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote ...
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and
with a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse
staging and I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self:
ask Spouse to make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

I've never bothered but then I've always grown them outside.

Forgotten where you are but I don't think it's Yorkshire ... :-)

Mary

Old 02-07-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and with
| a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse staging and
| I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self: ask Spouse to
| make something.
|
| So far so good, now I need more advice please.
|
| There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
| aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

You shouldn't, but it wouldn't do any harm.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and with
a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse staging and
I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self: ask Spouse to
make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

Mary

My peppers and aubergines sound to be at the same stage as yours Mary.

I find that leaving the greenhouse door half open will attract bees and
other pollinators inside so I'm hoping that they will do the job for me
and produce lots of lovely fruit!

I do have a few pots of flowers in there too, as well as tomatoes, so
maybe this is what attracts them.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and
with a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse
staging and I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self:
ask Spouse to make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

Mary

No, well I don't and they set fruit well.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and
with a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse
staging and I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to self:
ask Spouse to make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

Mary

No, well I don't and they set fruit well.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the fruit.

Mary

Old 02-07-2008, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Well, they grew to be sturdy, multiple leaved plants, over 12" tall and
with a big spread. They're now in maximum size pots on the greenhouse
staging and I've staked the tallest - need some more canes note to
self:
ask Spouse to make something.

So far so good, now I need more advice please.

There are some white flowers on some of the peppers and buds on the
aubergines. Do I need to do any hand pollinating?

Mary

No, well I don't and they set fruit well.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the fruit.

I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
aubergines!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-07-2008, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote
I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
aubergines!

Then you have never tasted a properly made Mousaka.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/7/08 23:11, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote
I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
aubergines!

Then you have never tasted a properly made Mousaka.

Or Imam baldi or Melanzana alla parmigiana. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-07-2008, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
aubergines!

You've never cooked them properly :-)

Mary

Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| "Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
| k...
|
| I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
| aubergines!
|
| You've never cooked them properly :-)

To be fair, some people don't like them even cooked properly.

I used not to, when I was younger and hypersensitive to bitterness.
And their actual taste is distinctive enough to be something that at
least some people will dislike.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| |
| | I approve of the peppers, but I have never understood why anyone eats
| | aubergines!
| |
| | You've never cooked them properly :-)
|
| To be fair, some people don't like them even cooked properly.
|
| I used not to, when I was younger and hypersensitive to bitterness.
| And their actual taste is distinctive enough to be something that at
| least some people will dislike.
|
| It's the very lack of flavour which makes them uninteresting to me. I
| don't dislike them, but I'd just as soon eat cotton wool.

I know what you mean. I like them, quite a lot, but sometimes they
seem to taste of nothing. It seems to be a combination of the actual
aubergine and way of cooking them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.