GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strawberries Over Winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/177144-strawberries-over-winter.html)

Dorry 23-07-2008 05:33 AM

Strawberries Over Winter

Hello
I have some strawberries in hanging baskets. I'd be grateful for some
advice as to what to do with them over winter. Do I bring the baskets
inside (if so, do they need to be somewhere light, or can I just stick them
in the garage? Do they need watering or can I just leave them until the
spring?) or would it be better to plant them out in a bed and cover them (if
so, can i put them back into the hanging baskets when they start next years
growth?).

thank you!

marybakers 03-10-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorry (Post 805643)
Hello
I have some strawberries in hanging baskets. I'd be grateful for some
advice as to what to do with them over winter. Do I bring the baskets
inside (if so, do they need to be somewhere light, or can I just stick them
in the garage? Do they need watering or can I just leave them until the
spring?) or would it be better to plant them out in a bed and cover them (if
so, can i put them back into the hanging baskets when they start next years
growth?).

thank you!

hi,i think your strawberries will be ok in the hanging baskets as i also have them in there and they have been fine over the years.

Granity 04-10-2008 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marybakers (Post 818037)
hi,i think your strawberries will be ok in the hanging baskets as i also have them in there and they have been fine over the years.

I grow mine in metre long plastic troughs on the patio and just leave them where they are, pulling out any dead leaves etc. Then give them a good feed in the spring when they start coming into flower.