Old 23-07-2008, 05:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberries Over Winter

Hello
I have some strawberries in hanging baskets. I'd be grateful for some
advice as to what to do with them over winter. Do I bring the baskets
inside (if so, do they need to be somewhere light, or can I just stick them
in the garage? Do they need watering or can I just leave them until the
spring?) or would it be better to plant them out in a bed and cover them (if
so, can i put them back into the hanging baskets when they start next years
growth?).

thank you!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorry View Post
Hello
I have some strawberries in hanging baskets. I'd be grateful for some
advice as to what to do with them over winter. Do I bring the baskets
inside (if so, do they need to be somewhere light, or can I just stick them
in the garage? Do they need watering or can I just leave them until the
spring?) or would it be better to plant them out in a bed and cover them (if
so, can i put them back into the hanging baskets when they start next years
growth?).

thank you!
hi,i think your strawberries will be ok in the hanging baskets as i also have them in there and they have been fine over the years.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybakers View Post
hi,i think your strawberries will be ok in the hanging baskets as i also have them in there and they have been fine over the years.
I grow mine in metre long plastic troughs on the patio and just leave them where they are, pulling out any dead leaves etc. Then give them a good feed in the spring when they start coming into flower.