GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Agapanthus seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/177257-agapanthus-seed.html)

vomog 26-07-2008 01:49 PM

Agapanthus seed

Hi All.

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

My problem is with Agapanthus seed that I took from my late Fathers garden.
They all germinated, but they all retain the seed husk on the end of the growing tip. I tried to remove some, but the tip just broke. I can see that the husk is strangling the tips as some have just fallen off with the tip inside. Would appreciate advice.

Cheers vomog.

Jeff Layman 26-07-2008 04:54 PM

Agapanthus seed

vomog wrote:
Hi All.

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

My problem is with Agapanthus seed that I took from my late Fathers
garden.
They all germinated, but they all retain the seed husk on the end of
the growing tip. I tried to remove some, but the tip just broke. I can
see that the husk is strangling the tips as some have just fallen off
with the tip inside. Would appreciate advice.

Cheers vomog.

It happens. Try spraying the growing tips with water regularly - the husk
stays soft and the growing tip will push it off.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Pam Moore 27-07-2008 06:28 PM

Agapanthus seed

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:54:37 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

vomog wrote:
Hi All.

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

My problem is with Agapanthus seed that I took from my late Fathers
garden.
They all germinated, but they all retain the seed husk on the end of
the growing tip. I tried to remove some, but the tip just broke. I can
see that the husk is strangling the tips as some have just fallen off
with the tip inside. Would appreciate advice.

Cheers vomog.

It happens. Try spraying the growing tips with water regularly - the husk
stays soft and the growing tip will push it off.

I agree with Jeff about spraying. I have done the same thing.
I have waited years for agapanthus, grown from seed, to flower, but
this year a very small plant, 2 years old, in a smallish (4 inch) pot
has a flower.
Good luck with yours.

Pam in Bristol

Nick Maclaren 28-07-2008 08:49 AM

Agapanthus seed

In article ,
vomog writes:

| My problem is with Agapanthus seed that I took from my late Fathers
| garden.
| They all germinated, but they all retain the seed husk on the end of
| the growing tip. I tried to remove some, but the tip just broke. I can
| see that the husk is strangling the tips as some have just fallen off
| with the tip inside. Would appreciate advice.

It happens with Ipomoea alba, too, but those are large and soft enough
to pick off. Generally, at least some break out without attention.
Spraying sounds a useful technique - I must try it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.