Old 26-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Registered User

Default Agapanthus seed

Hi All.

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

My problem is with Agapanthus seed that I took from my late Fathers garden.
They all germinated, but they all retain the seed husk on the end of the growing tip. I tried to remove some, but the tip just broke. I can see that the husk is strangling the tips as some have just fallen off with the tip inside. Would appreciate advice.

Cheers vomog.
Old 26-07-2008, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

vomog wrote:
Hi All.

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

My problem is with Agapanthus seed that I took from my late Fathers
garden.
They all germinated, but they all retain the seed husk on the end of
the growing tip. I tried to remove some, but the tip just broke. I can
see that the husk is strangling the tips as some have just fallen off
with the tip inside. Would appreciate advice.

Cheers vomog.

It happens. Try spraying the growing tips with water regularly - the husk
stays soft and the growing tip will push it off.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 27-07-2008, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:54:37 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

vomog wrote:
Hi All.

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

My problem is with Agapanthus seed that I took from my late Fathers
garden.
They all germinated, but they all retain the seed husk on the end of
the growing tip. I tried to remove some, but the tip just broke. I can
see that the husk is strangling the tips as some have just fallen off
with the tip inside. Would appreciate advice.

Cheers vomog.

It happens. Try spraying the growing tips with water regularly - the husk
stays soft and the growing tip will push it off.

I agree with Jeff about spraying. I have done the same thing.
I have waited years for agapanthus, grown from seed, to flower, but
this year a very small plant, 2 years old, in a smallish (4 inch) pot
has a flower.
Good luck with yours.

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-07-2008, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
vomog writes:

| My problem is with Agapanthus seed that I took from my late Fathers
| garden.
| They all germinated, but they all retain the seed husk on the end of
| the growing tip. I tried to remove some, but the tip just broke. I can
| see that the husk is strangling the tips as some have just fallen off
| with the tip inside. Would appreciate advice.

It happens with Ipomoea alba, too, but those are large and soft enough
to pick off. Generally, at least some break out without attention.
Spraying sounds a useful technique - I must try it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ping Sheila aand the 'white agapanthus seed club' Spider[_3_] United Kingdom 0 18-07-2013 03:55 PM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Ruth Australia 11 22-01-2011 11:28 AM
Agapanthus Loosecannon Australia 1 28-03-2003 08:20 PM
Agapanthus tangle John United Kingdom 2 08-03-2003 06:22 PM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:11 AM