Old 26-07-2008, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bouganviella - three quick questions!

Hi folks. Here they are...

1 I'm watering once every 3-5 days. I wait 'til the soil feels very
slightly damp (even touching on dry), then I water heavily. Good
practice?

2 It drops a lot of flowers, but still looks healthy. Is this normal
for bouganviella?

3 I add a seaweed/fish furtilizer once a week or so. Do they like
this?

Thanks!

- JayDee
Old 02-08-2008, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 26, 11:57 am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article 0819a12c-54a6-4ff1-a9ec-
, says...

Hi folks. Here they are...

1 I'm watering once every 3-5 days. I wait 'til the soil feels very
slightly damp (even touching on dry), then I water heavily. Good
practice?

2 It drops a lot of flowers, but still looks healthy. Is this normal
for bouganviella?

3 I add a seaweed/fish furtilizer once a week or so. Do they like
this?

Thanks!

- JayDee

When the first flower flush is going over it pays to keep the plant
virtually dry as this induces more flowers, restart more water once more
flower buds form. Your watering frequancy sounds fine for this time of
year.
I don't feed mine as its big enough without encoraging it! but I would
not think you would do any harm.
Unless it is in a heated space keep it on the dry side overwinter it may
well shed leaves but often starts flowering in the spring before the
leaves return
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

honestly? I live in a sunny and drier climate and I noticed that there
are bunch of dried out flowers on it. I would -think- that means it
needs a little more water as opposed to dropping live flowers. Would u
agree? I've been watering every three or four days but when I felt the
soil today, it did feel very dry...

thanks again
- JayDee
Old 02-08-2008, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/8/08 21:53, in article
, "JayDee"

wrote:
[...]

We have several mature plants in a greenhouse here in South Devon.
Sometimes they look simply dreadful - half dead and deeply unalluring. A
week or two later they are covered with brilliant flowers and as beautiful
as you could hope for them to be. They're at that point right now. You
say you live in a sunny and drier climate but you don't say where and as far
as I can see, you didn't say that in your first post. This very important
because plants will perform according to their environment so it would be
very helpful if you would tell us all where yours are?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com