Old 06-08-2008, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blighted potatoes

Well, that's the maincrop (British Queen) stuffed! At least the second
earlies (Picasso) managed to get to a good size and quantity before it hit.
I've cut down the halms - what a smell!!

Kase
South Manchester

Old 06-08-2008, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kase wrote:
Well, that's the maincrop (British Queen) stuffed! At least the second
earlies (Picasso) managed to get to a good size and quantity before it hit.
I've cut down the halms - what a smell!!

Kase
South Manchester

Subscribe to Blight Watch, then when you get the warning spray with your
preferred treatment. Worked for me, up to now, this year.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Kase wrote:
Well, that's the maincrop (British Queen) stuffed! At least the second
earlies (Picasso) managed to get to a good size and quantity before it hit.
I've cut down the halms - what a smell!!

Kase
South Manchester

Bad luck,Kase.It's this terrible weather I believe.
You going to drop this crop in future or use chemicals?
Sam
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sam" wrote in message
Kase wrote:
Well, that's the maincrop (British Queen) stuffed! At least the second
earlies (Picasso) managed to get to a good size and quantity before it
hit. I've cut down the halms - what a smell!!

Kase
South Manchester

Bad luck,Kase.It's this terrible weather I believe.
You going to drop this crop in future or use chemicals?
Sam

British Queen is dropped. The Picasso were dying back anyway so I don't
think that it got them - the tubers are still perfect. Now I need to find an
alternative main crop or another second early that I can leave in the ground
when they have finished flowering - problem is that I have heavy clay soil
so I'm plagued with slugs (I used to love King Edwards but at this house -
no chance!)

I just wish that I had written down what I planted last year, but because I
was having a bad time with my job back then I lost track of a lot of stuff
in the garden. Last year the main crop stood very well and were happy in the
ground - I was still digging up perfect tubers after Christmas.

Kase

Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Kase wrote:
"sam" wrote in message
Kase wrote:
[...]

Have you tried nematode worms? They only attack slugs supposedly and are
organic [of course]. I used them last year and hardly had a slug.This year I
bought none and there have been multitudes of them.I've lost a lot of stuff
so next year I shall get more.At £9 a time it's not cheap but it's either
that or avoid certain crops.
Sam.