Old 19-08-2008, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default How to dig in green manure?

On Aug 19, 8:25*am, Ed ex@directory wrote:
I have never grown a green manure before and am not clear, from what I
have read, as to how exactly I should dig in the crop before it reaches
flowering time.

Does 'digging in' simply mean turning the soil over with a fork to
incorporate as much as possible of the top-growth into the top 4 to 6
inches? *If I do that, won't it continue growing and sprout up again?

Or do I use a spade *and start trenching and totally bury the growth
from one trench-line into the bottom of the previous trench-line? - sort
of like double digging. *If so, *that does sound like a lot of work.

Please help!

Ed

Just turn it under, a spading fork is fine. If it sprouts and regrows
turn it under again.
Which crop are you using for green manure?
Because you just might have time for a second or third sowing before
winter.
For example if you are turning under clover or beans now you could sow
buckwheat and turn that under and then sow winter rye.