Old 20-08-2008, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Globe artichoke question

Several years ago I grew one from a seed and it cropped beautifully for
about four years.

It stopped when it became short of light - I don't think it's co-incidence.
There's now a large fuchsia two feet away to the east, a caravan two feet
away to the south, a neighbour's tall hedge about eight feet away to the
west and the house about four feet away to the north.

I'd like to move it to an open position on a south-facing bank in the back
garden but don't know when to do it.

By the way, an Italian neighbour suggested splitting it one year, it didn't
work.

Advice will be appreciated. I love artichokes!

Mary

Old 20-08-2008, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 20, 8:01*pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Several years ago I grew one from a seed and it cropped beautifully for
about four years.

It stopped when it became short of light - I don't think it's co-incidence.
There's now a large fuchsia two feet away to the east, a caravan two feet
away to the south, a neighbour's tall hedge about eight feet away to the
west and the house about four feet away to the north.

I'd like to move it to an open position on a south-facing bank in the back
garden but don't know when to do it.

By the way, an Italian neighbour suggested splitting it one year, it didn't
work.

Advice will be appreciated. I love artichokes!

Mary

They should split easily in Spring; soon after the shoots first appear
(if it has died down) so you can see what to split from what. They
certainly do like full sun. You can probably try splitting now but it
may not like it much unless it gets a chance to recover a bit before
Winter (shivver). We have one 4 year old plant that could be split
about every 2 years to give at least 3 or 4 splits. So far we have
just split it once.

Des

Old 21-08-2008, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"M" wrote in message
Following up to Mary Fisher

I'd like to move it to an open position on a south-facing bank in the
back
garden but don't know when to do it.

mine do well on a south facing open slope so i reckon you may be right

Thanks. At least the chickens won't eat that!

But when to move it is the big question.

Mary

Old 21-08-2008, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 21, 3:31*pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"M" wrote in message

Following up to Mary Fisher

I'd like to move it to an open position on a south-facing bank in the
back
garden but don't know when to do it.

mine do well on a south facing open slope so i reckon you may be right

Thanks. At least the chickens won't eat that!

But when to move it is the big question.

Mary

Spring.

globe artichoke- price of a globe misterroy United Kingdom 0 03-08-2007 08:21 AM
Globe artichoke seeds David Hare-Scott Edible Gardening 1 02-03-2006 07:55 PM
globe artichoke H Ryder United Kingdom 2 30-01-2006 09:55 AM
Globe artichoke Paul Taylor United Kingdom 1 27-05-2005 08:09 PM
Globe Artichoke - advice on growing S Wales jakalad United Kingdom 0 26-01-2005 08:42 PM