GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Replacement for grass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/178021-replacement-grass.html)

Frederick Williams[_2_] 21-08-2008 01:00 PM

Replacement for grass

What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?
--
He is not here; but far away
The noise of life begins again

Mike Derby[_2_] 21-08-2008 01:18 PM

Replacement for grass

"Frederick Williams" asked:
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?
--

You could try Anthemis noblis, Common Chamomile.

MD.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 21-08-2008 02:07 PM

Replacement for grass

In article ,
says...
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

THere are many substitutes for light-zero traffic but grass is the only
one that will take wear
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Judith in France 21-08-2008 02:15 PM

Replacement for grass

On Aug 21, 1:18*pm, "Mike Derby"
wrote:
"Frederick Williams" *asked: What may one make a lawn with other than grass? *I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?
--

You could try Anthemis noblis, Common Chamomile.

MD.

Chamomile is lovely but it will not take any wear and tear.

Judith

Sacha[_3_] 21-08-2008 02:29 PM

Replacement for grass

On 21/8/08 14:15, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On Aug 21, 1:18*pm, "Mike Derby"
wrote:
"Frederick Williams" *asked: What may one make a lawn with other than grass?
*I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?
--

You could try Anthemis noblis, Common Chamomile.

MD.

Chamomile is lovely but it will not take any wear and tear.

Judith

One way of achieving this is to pave in a chequerboard pattern, putting
chamomile, or other low-growing herbs, into the bare holes. We have violets
growing in the lawns but we don't walk on them!!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Frederick Williams[_2_] 21-08-2008 02:40 PM

Replacement for grass

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,
says...
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

THere are many substitutes for light-zero traffic but grass is the only
one that will take wear

The lawn, or whatever the right word may be, will only be walked on
infrequently.

Sam 21-08-2008 08:21 PM

Replacement for grass

Frederick Williams wrote:
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

Bent?
Sam

Sacha[_3_] 21-08-2008 08:39 PM

Replacement for grass

On 21/8/08 14:40, in article , "Frederick
Williams" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,

says...
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

THere are many substitutes for light-zero traffic but grass is the only
one that will take wear

The lawn, or whatever the right word may be, will only be walked on
infrequently.

Why? I ask this because what it's going to be used for is paramount in
designing *any* area of a garden. Your infrequent might be once a month but
someone else's might be twice a day. Is yours to be decorative and a sort
of 'garden curiosity' or will you take garden furniture there and use a
barbecue in warm weather etc?

Rusty Hinge 2 21-08-2008 08:50 PM

Replacement for grass

The message
from Frederick Williams contains these words:

What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

Take two small boys. Leave on lawn with no toys.

Violence will ensue.

Oh, as you were, violets...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Sacha[_3_] 21-08-2008 09:38 PM

Replacement for grass

On 21/8/08 20:50, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message
from Frederick Williams contains these words:

What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

Take two small boys. Leave on lawn with no toys.

Violence will ensue.

Oh, as you were, violets...

Which will *not* co-habit with small boys OR small girls, not even Ms Bott!

Frederick Williams[_2_] 22-08-2008 01:15 PM

Replacement for grass

Sacha wrote:

On 21/8/08 14:40, in article , "Frederick
Williams" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,

says...
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

THere are many substitutes for light-zero traffic but grass is the only
one that will take wear

The lawn, or whatever the right word may be, will only be walked on
infrequently.

Why? I ask this because what it's going to be used for is paramount in
designing *any* area of a garden. Your infrequent might be once a month but
someone else's might be twice a day. Is yours to be decorative and a sort
of 'garden curiosity' or will you take garden furniture there and use a
barbecue in warm weather etc?

A short border runs along one side of the lawn. The lawn will be walked
over for weeding and pruning.

A washing line runs above the lawn. The lawn will be walked over by the
hanger-up of laundry.

The lawn will be mowed infrequently and not short.

That's it.

K 22-08-2008 02:16 PM

Replacement for grass

Frederick Williams writes

A short border runs along one side of the lawn. The lawn will be walked
over for weeding and pruning.

A washing line runs above the lawn. The lawn will be walked over by the
hanger-up of laundry.

The lawn will be mowed infrequently and not short.

I think you'd be better off with either grass or a short (6in or so)
wildflower meadow. The regular laundry run will soon wear a bare track
--
Kay

Sacha[_3_] 22-08-2008 02:53 PM

Replacement for grass

On 22/8/08 13:15, in article , "Frederick
Williams" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 21/8/08 14:40, in article
, "Frederick
Williams" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,

says...
[...]

Would it be more useful to you if you just paved over it? Or you could let
it go wild and call it 'the wildflower lawn', just mowing a two-people wide
path through it to the washing line and border! Cut it back in autumn.

Pete C[_2_] 22-08-2008 09:43 PM

Replacement for grass

Sacha wrote:
snippy
Would it be more useful to you if you just paved over it?

Nooooo, toooooo much bl**dy paving these days.

Or you
could let it go wild and call it 'the wildflower lawn', just mowing a
two-people wide path through it to the washing line and border! Cut
it back in autumn.

Much better :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Sacha[_3_] 23-08-2008 12:54 AM

Replacement for grass

On 22/8/08 21:43, in article , "Pete C"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
snippy
Would it be more useful to you if you just paved over it?

Nooooo, toooooo much bl**dy paving these days.

I won't argue with that

Or you
could let it go wild and call it 'the wildflower lawn', just mowing a
two-people wide path through it to the washing line and border! Cut
it back in autumn.

Much better :)

Voila! BTW, for your neighbourly good relations, wild flowers probably
doesn't equate with e.g. dandelion seeds blowing into their gardens. ;-)