Old 21-08-2008, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacement for grass

What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?
--
He is not here; but far away
The noise of life begins again
Old 21-08-2008, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frederick Williams" asked:
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?
--

You could try Anthemis noblis, Common Chamomile.

MD.

Old 21-08-2008, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

THere are many substitutes for light-zero traffic but grass is the only
one that will take wear
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 21-08-2008, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 21, 1:18*pm, "Mike Derby"
wrote:
"Frederick Williams" *asked: What may one make a lawn with other than grass? *I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?
--

You could try Anthemis noblis, Common Chamomile.

MD.

Chamomile is lovely but it will not take any wear and tear.

Judith
Old 21-08-2008, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Frederick Williams wrote:
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

Bent?
Sam
Old 21-08-2008, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Frederick Williams contains these words:

What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

Take two small boys. Leave on lawn with no toys.

Violence will ensue.

Oh, as you were, violets...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 22-08-2008, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Frederick Williams writes

A short border runs along one side of the lawn. The lawn will be walked
over for weeding and pruning.

A washing line runs above the lawn. The lawn will be walked over by the
hanger-up of laundry.

The lawn will be mowed infrequently and not short.

I think you'd be better off with either grass or a short (6in or so)
wildflower meadow. The regular laundry run will soon wear a bare track
--
Kay
Old 22-08-2008, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/8/08 13:15, in article , "Frederick
Williams" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 21/8/08 14:40, in article
, "Frederick
Williams" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,

says...
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

THere are many substitutes for light-zero traffic but grass is the only
one that will take wear

The lawn, or whatever the right word may be, will only be walked on
infrequently.

Why? I ask this because what it's going to be used for is paramount in
designing *any* area of a garden. Your infrequent might be once a month but
someone else's might be twice a day. Is yours to be decorative and a sort
of 'garden curiosity' or will you take garden furniture there and use a
barbecue in warm weather etc?

A short border runs along one side of the lawn. The lawn will be walked
over for weeding and pruning.

A washing line runs above the lawn. The lawn will be walked over by the
hanger-up of laundry.

The lawn will be mowed infrequently and not short.

That's it.

Would it be more useful to you if you just paved over it? Or you could let
it go wild and call it 'the wildflower lawn', just mowing a two-people wide
path through it to the washing line and border! Cut it back in autumn.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-08-2008, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
snippy
Would it be more useful to you if you just paved over it?

Nooooo, toooooo much bl**dy paving these days.

Or you
could let it go wild and call it 'the wildflower lawn', just mowing a
two-people wide path through it to the washing line and border! Cut
it back in autumn.

Much better
--
Pete C