GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   madeira plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/178044-madeira-plant.html)

Gordon Filby 22-08-2008 10:40 AM

madeira plant

Hallo,

On a recent trip to Madeira, I was struck by some plants in our hotel
garden.

They have long spearlike leaves with the outer surface of purple colour, and
the inner surface normal green. Our friendly hotel gardener supplied us with
a few and I have now had them here(SW Germany) for everal weeks.

Does anyone recognise them from this rather poor description, and if so,
can they help with any information, such as name and best way to look after
them?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon Filby

Sacha[_3_] 22-08-2008 10:55 AM

madeira plant

On 22/8/08 10:40, in article , "Gordon
Filby" wrote:

Hallo,

On a recent trip to Madeira, I was struck by some plants in our hotel
garden.

They have long spearlike leaves with the outer surface of purple colour, and
the inner surface normal green. Our friendly hotel gardener supplied us with
a few and I have now had them here(SW Germany) for everal weeks.

Does anyone recognise them from this rather poor description, and if so,
can they help with any information, such as name and best way to look after
them?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon Filby

Phormiums? Aloes? Astelia? Charlie goes to Madeira every year so he'll
probably be able to help you.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 22-08-2008 12:53 PM

madeira plant

In article ,
says...
Hallo,

On a recent trip to Madeira, I was struck by some plants in our hotel
garden.

They have long spearlike leaves with the outer surface of purple colour, and
the inner surface normal green. Our friendly hotel gardener supplied us with
a few and I have now had them here(SW Germany) for everal weeks.

Does anyone recognise them from this rather poor description, and if so,
can they help with any information, such as name and best way to look after
them?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon Filby

Nothing is leaping to mind! try a few more details, height?, Width of
leaves?, do the leaves go to the base or are there stalks? A picture
would make life easier :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 23-08-2008 08:44 AM

madeira plant

In article ,
says...
Hallo,

On a recent trip to Madeira, I was struck by some plants in our hotel
garden.

They have long spearlike leaves with the outer surface of purple colour, and
the inner surface normal green. Our friendly hotel gardener supplied us with
a few and I have now had them here(SW Germany) for everal weeks.

Does anyone recognise them from this rather poor description, and if so,
can they help with any information, such as name and best way to look after
them?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon Filby

OK, Gordon has now sent me a picture (Which I don't recognise - which
means it will be something obvious!) anyway I have put it up in the hope
someone else will recognize it
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/bild025.jpg

Sacha[_3_] 23-08-2008 10:29 AM

madeira plant

On 23/8/08 08:44, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

At a guess only, Tradescantia spathacea.

Gordon Filby 23-08-2008 12:42 PM

madeira plant

Hallo,

You're dead right! Putting "picture of Tradescantia spathacea" gives
practically the picture I sent right at the top of the hit list!

Looking through some of the information, it seems more like something to be
avoided.

Many thanks for all replies.

Gordon in Karlsruhe, Germany

"Sacha" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On 23/8/08 08:44, in article
,

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 23-08-2008 12:49 PM

madeira plant

In article ,
says...
Tradescantia spathacea

That certainly looks like it and it sounds the sort of plant that would
be planted up there, (and it explains why the shape of the thing looked
vaguely familiar!

Dave Hill 23-08-2008 01:32 PM

madeira plant

On 23 Aug, 12:42, "Gordon Filby" wrote:
Hallo,

You're dead right! Putting "picture of Tradescantia spathacea" gives
practically the picture I sent right at the top of the hit list!

Looking through some of the information, it seems more like something to be
avoided.

Many thanks for all replies.

Gordon in Karlsruhe, Germany

"Sacha" schrieb im .co.uk...

On 23/8/08 08:44, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Sounds quite interesting to me, the variegated form even more so.
http://www.mediastorehouse.com/pictu...VARIEGATA.html
I'll have to look out for it if we do go to Madeira in the new year.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Sacha[_3_] 23-08-2008 01:36 PM

madeira plant

On 23/8/08 12:49, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
Tradescantia spathacea

That certainly looks like it and it sounds the sort of plant that would
be planted up there, (and it explains why the shape of the thing looked
vaguely familiar!

It was the colour that got me thinking Tradescantia. We don't have that one
but we do have the trailing one and it's close enough in leaf shape and
colour to trigger of something in what are laughingly called my 'thought
processes' ;-)

Sacha[_3_] 23-08-2008 01:38 PM

madeira plant

On 23/8/08 13:32, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

snip

Sounds quite interesting to me, the variegated form even more so.
http://www.mediastorehouse.com/pictu...HACEA-VARIEGAT
A.html
I'll have to look out for it if we do go to Madeira in the new year.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Tuck an extra one into your suitcase please, David. ;-)