Old 22-08-2008, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default madeira plant

Hallo,

On a recent trip to Madeira, I was struck by some plants in our hotel
garden.

They have long spearlike leaves with the outer surface of purple colour, and
the inner surface normal green. Our friendly hotel gardener supplied us with
a few and I have now had them here(SW Germany) for everal weeks.

Does anyone recognise them from this rather poor description, and if so,
can they help with any information, such as name and best way to look after
them?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon Filby

Old 22-08-2008, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/8/08 10:40, in article , "Gordon
Filby" wrote:

Hallo,

On a recent trip to Madeira, I was struck by some plants in our hotel
garden.

They have long spearlike leaves with the outer surface of purple colour, and
the inner surface normal green. Our friendly hotel gardener supplied us with
a few and I have now had them here(SW Germany) for everal weeks.

Does anyone recognise them from this rather poor description, and if so,
can they help with any information, such as name and best way to look after
them?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon Filby

Phormiums? Aloes? Astelia? Charlie goes to Madeira every year so he'll
probably be able to help you.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-08-2008, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hallo,

You're dead right! Putting "picture of Tradescantia spathacea" gives
practically the picture I sent right at the top of the hit list!

Looking through some of the information, it seems more like something to be
avoided.

Many thanks for all replies.

Gordon in Karlsruhe, Germany

"Sacha" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On 23/8/08 08:44, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,

says...
Hallo,

On a recent trip to Madeira, I was struck by some plants in our hotel
garden.

They have long spearlike leaves with the outer surface of purple colour,
and
the inner surface normal green. Our friendly hotel gardener supplied us
with
a few and I have now had them here(SW Germany) for everal weeks.

Does anyone recognise them from this rather poor description, and if
so,
can they help with any information, such as name and best way to look
after
them?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon Filby

OK, Gordon has now sent me a picture (Which I don't recognise - which
means it will be something obvious!) anyway I have put it up in the hope
someone else will recognize it
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/bild025.jpg

At a guess only, Tradescantia spathacea.

Old 23-08-2008, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Tradescantia spathacea

That certainly looks like it and it sounds the sort of plant that would
be planted up there, (and it explains why the shape of the thing looked
vaguely familiar!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 23-08-2008, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 23 Aug, 12:42, "Gordon Filby" wrote:
Hallo,

You're dead right! Putting "picture of Tradescantia spathacea" gives
practically the picture I sent right at the top of the hit list!

Looking through some of the information, it seems more like something to be
avoided.

Many thanks for all replies.

Gordon in Karlsruhe, Germany

"Sacha" schrieb im .co.uk...

On 23/8/08 08:44, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Sounds quite interesting to me, the variegated form even more so.
http://www.mediastorehouse.com/pictu...VARIEGATA.html
I'll have to look out for it if we do go to Madeira in the new year.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 23-08-2008, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/8/08 13:32, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

snip

Sounds quite interesting to me, the variegated form even more so.
http://www.mediastorehouse.com/pictu...HACEA-VARIEGAT
A.html
I'll have to look out for it if we do go to Madeira in the new year.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Tuck an extra one into your suitcase please, David. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

O T. Visit to Madeira The Hound United Kingdom 2 02-12-2005 04:51 PM
Madeira Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 10 24-09-2003 12:21 PM
Madeira Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 09:15 AM
non vasculars in MADEIRA help daniel vega Plant Science 1 18-06-2003 11:56 AM
madeira non vascular help daniel vega Plant Science 0 16-06-2003 10:56 PM