Old 27-08-2008, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composter

John T wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"John T" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Pete C" wrote in message
Has anyone here designed and built their own rotating composter?
Looked at commercial ones, but I can't afford a second mortgage!

They are ridiculously expensive aren't they!

My reply is no, but if I were starting again - i.e. without the
three or more bins we have and don't want to be mde redunandant,
we probably would.

You know those rotary bins they use (or used to use) for tombola
tickets? One of those could do the job ...

Mary

I did consider building a rotating composter, because of the very
high cost of the commercial ones.
I sketched out a hexagonal cylinder, with wooden ends, an axle, and
a crank handle, all set up on a trestle arrangement.

Trouble is, if you make it big enough, the engineering gets either
complex if you make it in wood, or very difficult unless you have an
engineering machin shop or a millwright for a mate.
There are not to many millwrights around, so the commercial rotating
comosters suddenly become more viable!

Spouse could make one but there are more pressing things to do ...

My current solution is to use three plastic bins, stir it with a
good old fashioned pitch fork, and if i need fine stuff to put it
through a rotasieve, i can recommend the rotasieve, it seemed to be
all wrong in principle, but it does work.

I didn't know there was such a thing - I've been using a large
riddle to do that for years :-)

But I might consider getting him to make one on legs, with a handle
... thanks!

Mary

If you look in Harrods website,
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/H...ry/Composting/
you will find pictures of the rotasieve, they are not the only
suppliers of this item.

I thought hard about the rotating sieve, and realised that it had
other uses, and although expensive, was easier than developing the
design, then making one and learning the hard way. I have only moved
home last year, and got a much bigger vegetable garden, but less
workshop than the old place!
On the rotating one, i worked out how big the bearings had to be for a
proper engineering job, bearing in mind how big it has to be, then i
worked out the axle stresses, and decided it was a millwrights job as
above.
I understand you can get an electric rotary soil sifter from Draper?

Good luck to anyone who tries, would be interested to know how you
get on. My e-mail address isnt encrypted or messed around with.

John

Thanks for that John. Harrods seem typical.......... 140 ltr £170!! How can
they justify that? I have no engineering experience, but I'm an avid DIYer.
I'm currently waiting for a lotty. Council predict sometime next year. I'm
trying to adopt the right frame of mind, so thought I'd start composting. My
garden is tiny.........not really room for a big box affair, hence my line
of thought.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-08-2008, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
AriesVal wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:30:40 +0100, Pete C wrote:

Found this.......
http://www.instructables.com/id/compost-bin/
sort of thing I had in mind.

That's looks interesting Pete - do you have room in your garden for
something like that? This may be a similar but simpler solution
for you? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nloDG93ZwMM

I imagine that would be pretty heavy once it's half full. Perhaps not
quite the big though.
--
Pete C
London UK

Yes, and I've just realised that anything horizontal would take too
big a footprint in our garden.

Mary

See my reply to John. I'm playing atm. Going from pot gardening to a lotty
is a big step. Reading forums/groups, on a steep learning curve
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-08-2008, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

AriesVal wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:58:19 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message
[15 quoted lines suppressed]

Yes, and I've just realised that anything horizontal would take too
big a footprint in our garden.

Mary
[2 quoted lines suppressed]

Not if it's rotated on patio slabs tho ? I seem to remember Pete has
a lot of his garden paved, although my rememberer may not be
remembering correctly

LOL a lot of a little is very little. 25' sq, half is pond. 'Patio' is 2
slabs by 10. Bit of grass, and gravel borders with pots on.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-08-2008, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
AriesVal wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:30:40 +0100, Pete C wrote:

Found this.......
http://www.instructables.com/id/compost-bin/
sort of thing I had in mind.

That's looks interesting Pete - do you have room in your garden for
something like that? This may be a similar but simpler solution
for you? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nloDG93ZwMM
I imagine that would be pretty heavy once it's half full. Perhaps not
quite the big though.
--
Pete C
London UK

Yes, and I've just realised that anything horizontal would take too
big a footprint in our garden.

Mary

See my reply to John. I'm playing atm. Going from pot gardening to a lotty
is a big step. Reading forums/groups, on a steep learning curve

And I always imagined you as a true Son of the Soil!

Mary
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-08-2008, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
AriesVal wrote:
[...]

And what is a true son of the soil? I love gardening. But I love my fish
too. My parents were both great gardeners. Sadly, dad is gone, and mum is
housebound. I've tried a sucsesion of 'gardeners' and have now started to
try and sort her garden out. My knowledge is really pretty poor, but I just
seem to do thigs right. Pretty well anything I plant grows fine. And no, my
fingers are the normal colour!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 28-08-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
And no, my
fingers are the normal colour!

My mother used to get very cross whenever anyone accused her of having
'green fingers'. As she said, it was knowledge, experience and hard
work!
--
Kay
Old 28-08-2008, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 28/8/08 14:00, in article ,
"K" wrote:

Sacha writes
On 28/8/08 10:16, in article ,
"K" wrote:

Sacha writes
And no, my
fingers are the normal colour!

My mother used to get very cross whenever anyone accused her of
having 'green fingers'. As she said, it was knowledge, experience
and hard work!

I think there are some people who have a sort of 'knack' that
others lack, just as in cooking. One cook can use just the same
method and ingredients as another but turn out a different result.
Perhaps it's hormonal. ;-) Or perhaps it's just patience. But
hard work and experience bring knowledge and nothing in a classroom
can teach those.

I think interest and observation have a lot to do with it. It's
always said that a good Yorkshire pudding requires love. If you're
not interested in what you're doing, and have an eye only on the
final result, it's inevitable that you don't pay as much attention
and don't get the feedback that allows you to adjust the process, so
that in the end the result is not as good.

I think you've probably identified some of the key ingredients of a
calm and patient nature. ;-)

Calm, patience, + dedication.......................weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eee I've
just picked and eaten my first tom this year. Soooooo sweet
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 28-08-2008, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:00:48 +0100, K wrote
and included this (or some of this):

I think interest and observation have a lot to do with it. It's always
said that a good Yorkshire pudding requires love.

I love 'em. (soaked in beef gravy)

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 28-08-2008, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:00:48 +0100, K wrote
and included this (or some of this):

I think interest and observation have a lot to do with it. It's always
said that a good Yorkshire pudding requires love.

I love 'em. (soaked in beef gravy)

I can't stand them with meat, I love them with sugar and lemon!

Alan

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Old 28-08-2008, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/8/08 18:53, in article ,
"alan.holmes" wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:00:48 +0100, K wrote
and included this (or some of this):

I think interest and observation have a lot to do with it. It's always
said that a good Yorkshire pudding requires love.

I love 'em. (soaked in beef gravy)

I can't stand them with meat, I love them with sugar and lemon!

Alan

I knew people who always ate theirs with raspberry vinegar.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-08-2008, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:53:46 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:00:48 +0100, K wrote
and included this (or some of this):

I think interest and observation have a lot to do with it. It's always
said that a good Yorkshire pudding requires love.

I love 'em. (soaked in beef gravy)

I can't stand them with meat, I love them with sugar and lemon!

That's not a Yorkshire pud, that's a pancake!

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
San Jose/Santa Clara County horse manure for composter. The Gardners Edible Gardening 3 23-04-2003 10:20 PM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Lawns 0 02-12-2002 12:06 PM