GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sloe berries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/178283-sloe-berries.html)

[email protected] 31-08-2008 11:59 AM

Sloe berries

Last year there were hundreds of berries on every Blackthorn bush but this year we'll be
lucky to find a pound in total. (We are in Sheffield). My in-laws in Sussex and friends in
SE London say the same.
What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

Kath

'The Stories of George the Hamster'
Translated by Lee H and Kathleen Smith
ISBN - 978-0-9546989-3-5
Available from www.arlev.clara.net/george.htm
and from both on line and High Street Bookshops

Mary Fisher 31-08-2008 12:34 PM

Sloe berries

wrote in message
Last year there were hundreds of berries on every Blackthorn bush but this
year we'll be
lucky to find a pound in total. (We are in Sheffield). My in-laws in
Sussex and friends in
SE London say the same.
What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

In my experience you don't know until much later than this, they're not easy
to see yet.

Mary

Rusty Hinge 2 31-08-2008 12:53 PM

Sloe berries

The message
from contains these words:

Last year there were hundreds of berries on every Blackthorn bush but
this year we'll be
lucky to find a pound in total. (We are in Sheffield). My in-laws in
Sussex and friends in
SE London say the same.
What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

Late frosts: though I must say, we have plenty here in this part of Norfolk.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_237_] 31-08-2008 02:03 PM

Sloe berries

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from contains these words:

Last year there were hundreds of berries on every Blackthorn bush but
this year we'll be
lucky to find a pound in total. (We are in Sheffield). My in-laws in
Sussex and friends in
SE London say the same.
What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

Late frosts: though I must say, we have plenty here in this part of
Norfolk.

Yes, agreed, we had a lot of late frost this year. Must admit I haven't
checked for any sloes yet but I shall do now

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Pam Moore 31-08-2008 10:44 PM

Sloe berries

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:34:31 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Last year there were hundreds of berries on every Blackthorn bush but this
year we'll be
lucky to find a pound in total. (We are in Sheffield). My in-laws in
Sussex and friends in
SE London say the same.
What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

In my experience you don't know until much later than this, they're not easy
to see yet.

I noticed also that there were very few and looked up close in case
they had not turned colour yet. Some bushes had none to be seen. On
only one did I see a fair crop.

Pam in Bristol

[email protected] 06-09-2008 11:06 AM

Sloe berries

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:53:20 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

Late frosts: though I must say, we have plenty here in this part of Norfolk.

Looks like you in Norfolk will be able to corner the market in supplying the est of the
country...

Rusty Hinge 2 06-09-2008 06:28 PM

Sloe berries

The message
from Granity contains these words:
;813577 Wrote:

Last year there were hundreds of berries on every Blackthorn bush but
this year we'll be
lucky to find a pound in total. (We are in Sheffield). My in-laws in
Sussex and friends in
SE London say the same.
What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

Not only no sloes here in Bedfordshire, no wild damsons either :-(

And too wet for wild oats.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Hedgeman 06-09-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granity (Post 814510)
Not only no sloes here in Bedfordshire, no wild damsons either :-(

Sloes (Blackthorn) are really closely related cherries and plums. Crops of both of those are really bad this year partly because of late frosts and partly because they like a little more than 30 minutes sun each week (yes folks it is raining again even as I write...).

That is probably why

BTW (there are not a lot here in Cornwall either).