Old 31-08-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sloe berries

Last year there were hundreds of berries on every Blackthorn bush but this year we'll be
lucky to find a pound in total. (We are in Sheffield). My in-laws in Sussex and friends in
SE London say the same.
What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

Kath

'The Stories of George the Hamster'
Translated by Lee H and Kathleen Smith
ISBN - 978-0-9546989-3-5
Available from www.arlev.clara.net/george.htm
and from both on line and High Street Bookshops
Old 31-08-2008, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
news
Last year there were hundreds of berries on every Blackthorn bush but this
year we'll be
lucky to find a pound in total. (We are in Sheffield). My in-laws in
Sussex and friends in
SE London say the same.
What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

In my experience you don't know until much later than this, they're not easy
to see yet.

Mary

Old 31-08-2008, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:34:31 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
Last year there were hundreds of berries on every Blackthorn bush but this
year we'll be
lucky to find a pound in total. (We are in Sheffield). My in-laws in
Sussex and friends in
SE London say the same.
What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

In my experience you don't know until much later than this, they're not easy
to see yet.

I noticed also that there were very few and looked up close in case
they had not turned colour yet. Some bushes had none to be seen. On
only one did I see a fair crop.

Pam in Bristol

Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:53:20 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

Late frosts: though I must say, we have plenty here in this part of Norfolk.

Looks like you in Norfolk will be able to corner the market in supplying the est of the
country...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Last year there were hundreds of berries on every Blackthorn bush but this year we'll be
lucky to find a pound in total. (We are in Sheffield). My in-laws in Sussex and friends in
SE London say the same.
What has happened? There was plenty of blossom.

Kath
Not only no sloes here in Bedfordshire, no wild damsons either :-(
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
Not only no sloes here in Bedfordshire, no wild damsons either :-(
Sloes (Blackthorn) are really closely related cherries and plums. Crops of both of those are really bad this year partly because of late frosts and partly because they like a little more than 30 minutes sun each week (yes folks it is raining again even as I write...).

That is probably why

BTW (there are not a lot here in Cornwall either).