GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Do you recognise these plants? 2 of 2 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/178411-do-you-recognise-these-plants-2-2-a.html)

beccabunga 12-09-2008 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hibiscus (Post 815063)
Thanks, beccabunga. :)

Another reason why I get confused between dahlia & chrysanthemum:-
We treat dahlia as a type of chrysanthemum in Chinese language.

Dahlia = "Dali chrysanthemum" in Chinese; we also call it "Indian peony".

Chrysanthemum = "chrysanthemum" in Chinese; which we use it to make chrysanthemum tea that has a stronger taste/ smell than camomile tea. By the way, we also treat camomile as a type of chrysanthemum in Chinese - it's known as "sweet chrysanthemum"!!

So I wonder, if dahlia is edible...

The tubers are edible [not that I've tried them]. They may however not be very palatable !

Interesting that piece of information about Dahlias in Chinese. While they are both Asteraceae, I am not aware of anyone successfully crossing them.

Janet Tweedy 12-09-2008 01:11 PM

Do you recognise these plants? 2 of 2

In article , Hibiscus
writes

I think I know how to differentiate dahlia now. Some of them look like
chrysanthemums to me...

Goodness, I've never seen a dahlia that looked like a chrysanthemum!
Maybe I don't know chrysanthemums well, though. Do you mean the cactus
dahlia type? I wouldn't have said they grow the same way at all, but I
don't know the whole spectrum of Dahlias either!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Hibiscus 12-09-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 815338)
The tubers are edible [not that I've tried them]. They may however not be very palatable !

Interesting that piece of information about Dahlias in Chinese. While they are both Asteraceae, I am not aware of anyone successfully crossing them.

Re tubers - Hmm... Maybe I've tried them before in Japan. I remember I had some raw flower petals (mostly taken from chrysanthemums), aloe vera (really, really bitter) in a sushi restaurant!