Old 06-09-2008, 04:34 AM
Registered User

Smile Do you recognise these plants? 2 of 2

Please help!

Photo No 7567
Photo No 7556
Photo No 7588
Photo No 7597
Photo No 7644
Photo No 7658
Photo No 7783

Many thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Do you recognise these plants? 2 of 2-dscn7567.jpg   Do you recognise these plants? 2 of 2-dscn7553.jpg   Do you recognise these plants? 2 of 2-dscn7588.jpg   Do you recognise these plants? 2 of 2-dscn7597.jpg   Do you recognise these plants? 2 of 2-dscn7644.jpg

Do you recognise these plants? 2 of 2-dscn7658.jpg   Do you recognise these plants? 2 of 2-dscn7783.jpg
Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do you recognise these plants? 1 of 2

In message , Hibiscus
writes

Please help!

Photo No 7036
Photo No 7061
Photo No 7075
Photo No 7081
Photo No 7089
Photo No 7098
Photo No 7103

Many thanks,

|Filename: DSCN7036.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10129|

Hypericum - don't recognise the species.
|Filename: DSCN7061.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10130|

Rowan, probably the native Sorbus aucuparia (the berries look a bit on
the crimson/pink side, but I'll blame the camera - at least I've had
trouble with correct rendition of reds in digital cameras.)
|Filename: DSCN7075.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10131|
Rudbeckia or Echinacea, or possibly Heleniopsis or something else in
that area.
|Filename: DSCN7081.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10132|
Dahlia - there's hundreds if not thousands of cultivars
|Filename: DSCN7089.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10133|
Lilium (Lily) - reminds me of Lilium martagon, but if I recall correctly
there are other possibilities.
|Filename: DSCN7098.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10134|
Nice picture. I'd guess at an Aster.
|Filename: DSCN7103.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10135|
Another Dahlia

Hibiscus

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-09-2008, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Hypericum - don't recognise the species.

Agreed Hypericum. Thought Tutsan at first (and from leaf colour in the
background), but berries are too elongated. Ditto Rose of Sharon. Are
there any other widely grown Hypericums of that size in the UK?

|Filename: DSCN7061.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10130|

Rowan, probably the native Sorbus aucuparia (the berries look a bit on
the crimson/pink side, but I'll blame the camera - at least I've had
trouble with correct rendition of reds in digital cameras.)

If it's not that, it could be one of the pink berried ones which start
quite dark red and fade to pink or white. Leaves not right for S
vilmorinii else I'd go for that.

--
Kay
Old 06-09-2008, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Hypericum - don't recognise the species.

Agreed Hypericum. Thought Tutsan at first (and from leaf colour in the
background), but berries are too elongated. Ditto Rose of Sharon. Are
there any other widely grown Hypericums of that size in the UK?

You see cultivars with a Tutsan like habit in the garden centres every
now and again. Google finds me pictures of Hypericum FLAIR(TM) (which
are Tutsan cultivars, but don't have sufficiently elongated berries).
Digging a bit further gets me to Hypericum x inodorum 'Elstead' which is
commonly grown, and does look a reasonable match.

I've seen hybrids of South American origin on sale, but none of the
names in Plantfinder ring a bell, so I can't offer images for
comparison.

|Filename: DSCN7061.JPG |

Old 07-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscus View Post
Please help!

Photo No 7567 Crab apple
Photo No 7556 Golden willow
Photo No 7588 need more of the plant
Photo No 7597 Eupatorium
Photo No 7644 need more of the plant
Photo No 7658 Snowberry
Photo No 7783 Clematis

Many thanks,

This batch!

Old 08-09-2008, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do you recognise these plants? 2 of 2

On Sep 8, 2:24 pm, Hibiscus
wrote:
beccabunga;814591 Wrote:

This batch!

Thanks a lot guys!!

Re 7588: See 7583, 7584

Achillea
do not know which one; some are varieties of A.millefolium which is
wild Yarrow

http://tinyurl.com/6mxv24

http://tinyurl.com/59ymaz

Re 7644: See 7642, 7639

http://tinyurl.com/64bcfh

http://tinyurl.com/6zg7zx

Thanks again!

Hibiscus

Old 08-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
This batch!
Thanks a lot guys!!

Re 7588: See 7583, 7584

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=DSCN7583.jpg

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=DSCN7584.jpg

Re 7644: See 7642, 7639

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=DSCN7642.jpg

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=DSCN7639.jpg

Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Registered User

Yes, I think 7588 is Sweet Yarrow!?

How about 7644, the one with yellow flowers and seed pockets/ pods?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Registered User

Got it - Colutea arborescens http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/...f7a79e.jpg?v=0
Old 09-09-2008, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Sep 9, 4:26 pm, Hibiscus
wrote:

How about 7644, the one with yellow flowers and seed pockets/ pods?

Colutea arborescens aka bladder senna.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered User

I don't have my own garden. I love photography and have been taken quite a lot of plant/ flower pictures recently.

I think I know how to differentiate dahlia now. Some of them look like chrysanthemums to me...
Old 10-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscus View Post
I don't have my own garden. I love photography and have been taken quite a lot of plant/ flower pictures recently.

I think I know how to differentiate dahlia now. Some of them look like chrysanthemums to me...
They are relatively easy to differentiate, if you look at the stems and leaves. Those of dahlias are fleshy and a bright green [apart from the dark leaved forms, of course], whereas chrysanthemum stems look woody and the leaves are a duller green. Also, chrysanthemum has a very distinctive smell which dahlias don't have.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/9/08 15:26, in article , "Hibiscus"
wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;815018']On 9/9/08 16:26, in article
, "Hibiscus"
wrote:
-

Yes, I think 7588 is Sweet Yarrow!?

How about 7644, the one with yellow flowers and seed pockets/ pods?

-
May I ask you a couple of questions? Where are you gardening? Do you
not
recognise a Dahlia because it is unfamiliar to you in your gardening
area?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

I don't have my own garden. I love photography and have been taken
quite a lot of plant/ flower pictures recently.

I think I know how to differentiate dahlia now. Some of them look like
chrysanthemums to me...

Ah, got it. I can't find it now but somewhere online there is a terrific
resource of plant photographs which would interest you, I think. There are
just so many different Dahlias that while people could identify one as a
Dahlia, it might be hard to say which one it is, precisely.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
They are relatively easy to differentiate, if you look at the stems and leaves. Those of dahlias are fleshy and a bright green [apart from the dark leaved forms, of course], whereas chrysanthemum stems look woody and the leaves are a duller green. Also, chrysanthemum has a very distinctive smell which dahlias don't have.
Thanks, beccabunga.

Another reason why I get confused between dahlia & chrysanthemum:-
We treat dahlia as a type of chrysanthemum in Chinese language.

Dahlia = "Dali chrysanthemum" in Chinese; we also call it "Indian peony".

Chrysanthemum = "chrysanthemum" in Chinese; which we use it to make chrysanthemum tea that has a stronger taste/ smell than camomile tea. By the way, we also treat camomile as a type of chrysanthemum in Chinese - it's known as "sweet chrysanthemum"!!

So I wonder, if dahlia is edible...