Old 12-10-2008, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lilly identification and advice please

Anyone recognise this lilly variety from the leaves?
It only grows to around a foot high but has lovely leaves.
The flowers are typical lilly shape in white, but its too late to
photograph any flowers at this time of year.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/lilly.jpg

I've just collected a lot of orange berries from them and separated the
seeds out. Quite a good harvest. Any tips on how to store them and plant
them next year? Will they need chilling before planting?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/08 15:22, in article , "David
in Normandy" wrote:

Anyone recognise this lilly variety from the leaves?
It only grows to around a foot high but has lovely leaves.
The flowers are typical lilly shape in white, but its too late to
photograph any flowers at this time of year.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/lilly.jpg

I've just collected a lot of orange berries from them and separated the
seeds out. Quite a good harvest. Any tips on how to store them and plant
them next year? Will they need chilling before planting?

Arum italicum pictum, aren't they? I don't *think* they need to be chilled
before planting and after a while the clumps start self-seeding.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-10-2008, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

in Normandy" wrote:

Anyone recognise this lilly variety from the leaves?
It only grows to around a foot high but has lovely leaves.
The flowers are typical lilly shape in white, but its too late to
photograph any flowers at this time of year.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/lilly.jpg

I've just collected a lot of orange berries from them and separated the
seeds out. Quite a good harvest. Any tips on how to store them and plant
them next year? Will they need chilling before planting?

Arum italicum pictum, aren't they? I don't *think* they need to be chilled
before planting and after a while the clumps start self-seeding.

Thanks Sacha. I've Googled the name and that is definitely them. I hope
I have better luck with the seeds this year. Last year I simply put the
berries in some seed trays and left them outside but didn't get a single
seedling. My guess is something ate them over Winter. So a bit more
TLC this time and I won't set the seeds until Spring.
Old 17-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Normandy[_7_] View Post
in Normandy" wrote:

[...]

Just be aware that if you have the native arum [Lords and Ladies] anywhere in your garden, you may well not get nicely marked or large leaves. They are exceedingly promiscuous.