GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wedding in May (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/179276-wedding-may.html)

Jules123 19-10-2008 08:33 AM

Wedding in May

Hi Guys

You are officially my 1st ever forum!

I am getting married on May 9th next year (in the UK) and was hoping to be able to do a lot of the flowers myself. Not necc cut flowers but potentially planting some bulbs in the field and then lots of pots.

Someone has mentioned Bluebells but I am wondering if you can recommend anything else?

I know I am going to have to move fast as I prob need to plant about now.

Thanks for your help

Julia

Sacha[_3_] 19-10-2008 09:55 AM

Wedding in May

On 19/10/08 08:33, in article ,
"Jules123" wrote:

Hi Guys

You are officially my 1st ever forum!

I am getting married on May 9th next year (in the UK) and was hoping to
be able to do a lot of the flowers myself. Not necc cut flowers but
potentially planting some bulbs in the field and then lots of pots.

Someone has mentioned Bluebells but I am wondering if you can recommend
anything else?

I know I am going to have to move fast as I prob need to plant about
now.

Thanks for your help

Julia

Depends a bit on where you live but lily of the valley are a May time
tradition in Europe. Lovers give bunches to each other on 1st May.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Derek[_4_] 19-10-2008 11:08 AM

Wedding in May

"Jules123" wrote in message

Hi Guys

You are officially my 1st ever forum!

I am getting married on May 9th next year (in the UK) and was hoping to
be able to do a lot of the flowers myself. Not necc cut flowers but
potentially planting some bulbs in the field and then lots of pots.

Someone has mentioned Bluebells but I am wondering if you can recommend
anything else?

I know I am going to have to move fast as I prob need to plant about
now.

Thanks for your help

Julia

--
Jules123

In addition to potting plants, the hawthorns are generally in full bloom
around that time important in Celtic Weddings and a deal of other religons
too http://www.englishplants.co.uk/hawthorn.html it can flower later in
upland or cooler locations. other possibilities at
http://www.freshroses.com/may.html
Derek

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 19-10-2008 11:23 AM

Wedding in May

In article ,
says...

Hi Guys

You are officially my 1st ever forum!

I am getting married on May 9th next year (in the UK) and was hoping to
be able to do a lot of the flowers myself. Not necc cut flowers but
potentially planting some bulbs in the field and then lots of pots.

Someone has mentioned Bluebells but I am wondering if you can recommend
anything else?

I know I am going to have to move fast as I prob need to plant about
now.

Thanks for your help

Julia

Dutch Iris give us a good show of colour in May and the bulbs are cheap!
Last few years the Tulips have all been over by then (ten years ago they
would have been fine) By late May Ixias are lovely for pinks creams and
whites. The only daffs still looking good here by May are Baby Moon but
others may now something a little larger flowered.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

beccabunga 19-10-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules123 (Post 819406)
Hi Guys

You are officially my 1st ever forum!

I am getting married on May 9th next year (in the UK) and was hoping to be able to do a lot of the flowers myself. Not necc cut flowers but potentially planting some bulbs in the field and then lots of pots.

Someone has mentioned Bluebells but I am wondering if you can recommend anything else?

I know I am going to have to move fast as I prob need to plant about now.

Thanks for your help

Julia

Firstly a warning - anything planted for an occasion can get nasty and not flower in time. Has happened to me! So if you are planning on this, be prepared for a lot of Chelsea-like in and out of controlled conditions.

Tulips are a good bet, and you can plant them any time up to December.#
Hyacinths might be safer than bluebells - there are newer forms that are not as solid as the traditional ones
Late flowering narcissi - Pheasant's Eye, for instance.
Camassia - blue or white spikes
Scilla siberica

Rusty Hinge 2 19-10-2008 08:12 PM

Wedding in May

The message
from "Derek" contains these words:

In addition to potting plants, the hawthorns are generally in full bloom
around that time important in Celtic Weddings and a deal of other religons
too http://www.englishplants.co.uk/hawthorn.html it can flower later in
upland or cooler locations. other possibilities at
http://www.freshroses.com/may.html

It's bad luck bringing may (hawthorn) indoors - besides, it smells od
carrion...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Sacha[_3_] 19-10-2008 11:48 PM

Wedding in May

On 19/10/08 20:12, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:

The message
from "Derek" contains these words:

In addition to potting plants, the hawthorns are generally in full bloom
around that time important in Celtic Weddings and a deal of other religons
too
http://www.englishplants.co.uk/hawthorn.html it can flower later in
upland or cooler locations. other possibilities at
http://www.freshroses.com/may.html

It's bad luck bringing may (hawthorn) indoors - besides, it smells od
carrion...

Well, if you're that superstitious, it's bad luck to marry in May! OTOH,
she has chosen 9th May, Jersey's Liberation Day. ;-))