GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ranunculus help please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/179839-ranunculus-help-please.html)

Therefore 19-11-2008 03:07 PM

Ranunculus help please

I have just purchased some bulbs or are they corms ?

However , I am at a loss as how to plant them.

Which way up should they be tendrils up or tendrills down.

TIA ..............................Leslie

Stewart Robert Hinsley 19-11-2008 04:21 PM

Ranunculus help please

In message , Therefore
writes
I have just purchased some bulbs or are they corms ?

If you're referring to Persian Buttercup (Ranunculus asiaticus) they're
tubers.

However , I am at a loss as how to plant them.

Which way up should they be tendrils up or tendrills down.

Google is your friend, though in this case it's a bit reluctant to
oblige, particularly with an authoritative site. However, the answer is
"claws" downwards.

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/lake/downloads/8783.pdf

(Extension service at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Janet Conroy 19-11-2008 04:45 PM

[quote=Therefore;823100]I have just purchased some bulbs or are they corms ?

However , I am at a loss as how to plant them.

Which way up should they be tendrils up or tendrills down.

TIA ..............................Leslie

--
I think you'll find the tendrils are roots, so they need to go down but spread out, so dig out a largish area and lay them out, before back-filling. The spacing should be on the packaging. Ranunculus likes damp, heavy soil to really thrive.

Daddy Tadpole 27-11-2008 09:56 PM

Ranunculus help please

If in doubt, plant sideways. The know where up and down are.

Regards

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" a écrit dans le
message de news: lid...
In message , Therefore
writes