Old 19-11-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ranunculus help please

I have just purchased some bulbs or are they corms ?

However , I am at a loss as how to plant them.

Which way up should they be tendrils up or tendrills down.

TIA ..............................Leslie

Old 19-11-2008, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Therefore
writes
I have just purchased some bulbs or are they corms ?

If you're referring to Persian Buttercup (Ranunculus asiaticus) they're
tubers.

However , I am at a loss as how to plant them.

Which way up should they be tendrils up or tendrills down.

Google is your friend, though in this case it's a bit reluctant to
oblige, particularly with an authoritative site. However, the answer is
"claws" downwards.

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/lake/downloads/8783.pdf

(Extension service at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Registered User

[quote=Therefore;823100]I have just purchased some bulbs or are they corms ?

However , I am at a loss as how to plant them.

Which way up should they be tendrils up or tendrills down.

TIA ..............................Leslie

--
I think you'll find the tendrils are roots, so they need to go down but spread out, so dig out a largish area and lay them out, before back-filling. The spacing should be on the packaging. Ranunculus likes damp, heavy soil to really thrive.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If in doubt, plant sideways. The know where up and down are.

Regards

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" a écrit dans le
message de news: lid...
In message , Therefore
writes
I have just purchased some bulbs or are they corms ?

If you're referring to Persian Buttercup (Ranunculus asiaticus) they're
tubers.

However , I am at a loss as how to plant them.

Which way up should they be tendrils up or tendrills down.

Google is your friend, though in this case it's a bit reluctant to oblige,
particularly with an authoritative site. However, the answer is "claws"
downwards.

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/lake/downloads/8783.pdf

(Extension service at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Growing Ranunculus from seed S. McLaren Australia 2 04-05-2003 07:32 AM
about Ranunculus? Jane Gardening 0 20-03-2003 11:32 PM
When should we plant Ranunculus in Melbourne John Wilkins Australia 0 04-03-2003 07:49 AM
Growing Ranunculus from seed S. McLaren Australia 0 02-12-2002 03:46 AM
Growing Ranunculus from seed S. McLaren United Kingdom 4 02-12-2002 03:46 AM