Old 30-12-2008, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Birds and hypocrisy

Letter in the Scotsman

With regard to your report "Scandal as raptor killers beat justice"
(28 December) I find the RSPB's position extremely hypocritical.

The society makes a great play about raptors being killed but
encourages the shooting industry by having shooting tenants on its
reserves. Just how many of its bird-loving members are aware of this?

The RSPB should stop being the Royal Society for the Protection of
some Birds and complicit in the killing of others.

All birds are sentient creatures and should be worthy of our
protection, not just those of the "iconic" variety that are introduced
to boost tourism.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk

All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed;
Second, it is violently opposed; and
Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Old 31-12-2008, 01:20 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Your links reveal that you are more interested in a political discussion than in plants and gardens. Fewer raptors round here would mean more other wild life, like small birds. Since we moved here 23 years ago, the numbers of songbirds has drastically dropped, and this year our doves were totally wiped out.