GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Apple tree cuttings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/180627-apple-tree-cuttings.html)

Derek[_4_] 04-01-2009 05:58 PM

Apple tree cuttings

Have any members of the goup had any sucess taking cuttings from old trees
we have a mature baker (probably Bramley but very heavy cropper) I would
like to propagate. I'd rather it grew on its own rootstock than graft. I'm
looking to take softwood spurs around May.
DerekW

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 05-01-2009 12:24 AM

Apple tree cuttings

The message
from "Derek" contains these words:

Have any members of the goup had any sucess taking cuttings from old trees
we have a mature baker (probably Bramley but very heavy cropper) I would
like to propagate. I'd rather it grew on its own rootstock than graft. I'm
looking to take softwood spurs around May.

Traditionally, Bramley's Seedling grows on its own rootstock. Last year
they might have done well, but I took a lot of cuttings from two trees a
couple or three years ago, and despite keeping in partial shade and them
well watered, they all died.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 05-01-2009 09:12 AM

Apple tree cuttings

In article ,
says...
Have any members of the goup had any sucess taking cuttings from old trees
we have a mature baker (probably Bramley but very heavy cropper) I would
like to propagate. I'd rather it grew on its own rootstock than graft. I'm
looking to take softwood spurs around May.
DerekW

Try some hard wood cuttings now, normal method. should get 100% take but
do leave them at least a year before moving them
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Jim Jackson 09-01-2009 12:22 PM

Apple tree cuttings

Charlie Pridham wrote:
says...
Have any members of the goup had any sucess taking cuttings from old trees
we have a mature baker (probably Bramley but very heavy cropper) I would
like to propagate. I'd rather it grew on its own rootstock than graft. I'm
looking to take softwood spurs around May.

Try some hard wood cuttings now, normal method. should get 100% take but
do leave them at least a year before moving them

I've had almost 100% negative results from apple cuttings.
I understand that a few varieties strike easily, whilst most do not.
Soil type might be crucial too.

Derek[_4_] 12-01-2009 12:10 AM

Apple tree cuttings

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
Have any members of the goup had any sucess taking cuttings from old
trees
we have a mature baker (probably Bramley but very heavy cropper) I would
like to propagate. I'd rather it grew on its own rootstock than graft.
I'm
looking to take softwood spurs around May.
DerekW

Try some hard wood cuttings now, normal method. should get 100% take but
do leave them at least a year before moving them
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Thanks Charlie I'll give it a try I was looking at the extra spurs that need
nipping out so thats the choice.
DerekW

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 12-01-2009 12:48 PM

Apple tree cuttings

In article ,
says...

[...]

If you have any left the ripened straight shoots from last year make the
best material