Old 04-01-2009, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apple tree cuttings

Have any members of the goup had any sucess taking cuttings from old trees
we have a mature baker (probably Bramley but very heavy cropper) I would
like to propagate. I'd rather it grew on its own rootstock than graft. I'm
looking to take softwood spurs around May.
DerekW

Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Derek" contains these words:

Have any members of the goup had any sucess taking cuttings from old trees
we have a mature baker (probably Bramley but very heavy cropper) I would
like to propagate. I'd rather it grew on its own rootstock than graft. I'm
looking to take softwood spurs around May.

Traditionally, Bramley's Seedling grows on its own rootstock. Last year
they might have done well, but I took a lot of cuttings from two trees a
couple or three years ago, and despite keeping in partial shade and them
well watered, they all died.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
Have any members of the goup had any sucess taking cuttings from old
trees
we have a mature baker (probably Bramley but very heavy cropper) I would
like to propagate. I'd rather it grew on its own rootstock than graft.
I'm
looking to take softwood spurs around May.
DerekW

Try some hard wood cuttings now, normal method. should get 100% take but
do leave them at least a year before moving them
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Thanks Charlie I'll give it a try I was looking at the extra spurs that need
nipping out so thats the choice.
DerekW

Old 12-01-2009, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

If you have any left the ripened straight shoots from last year make the
best material