Old 16-01-2009, 05:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Himalayan Balsam

I've taken over a neglected alloment.

Some of the raised beds are full of soggy, slimy stems of himalayan balsam
which, in a way, is fortunate, because they've crowded out all the other
weeds.

I know that I'll have to deal with seedlings, but am I right in thinking
that, because they're annuals, I can rake up the old stems and then rotavate
the beds and they won't regrow from the roots?

Does the same apply with rosebay willowherb?

Thank.

Old 16-01-2009, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mel writes
I've taken over a neglected alloment.

Some of the raised beds are full of soggy, slimy stems of himalayan balsam
which, in a way, is fortunate, because they've crowded out all the other
weeds.

I know that I'll have to deal with seedlings, but am I right in thinking
that, because they're annuals, I can rake up the old stems and then rotavate
the beds and they won't regrow from the roots?

From the Environment Agency website:

"Control: Control measures should aim to prevent flowering and if this
is achieved before seeds are set, eradication is possible in two to
three years.

Chemical control: can use glyphosate or 2,4-D amine. Need to be used
whilst plant is actively growing in early spring for best effect.

Cutting/mowing/strimming: cut at ground level using a scythe, before the
flowering stage in June. Do not cut earlier as this promotes greater
seed production in any plants that regrow. Cutting should be repeated
annually until no more growth occurs.

Pulling: shallow-rooted plants can be pulled up very easily and disposed
of by burning or composting, unless seeds are present."

Does the same apply with rosebay willowherb?

That's a perennial, with clumps of big fat white roots. You can get rid
of it by repeated pulling, and although it seeds freely, it doesn't seem
to seed quite as freely as the smaller willowherbs

--
Kay
Old 16-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel[_11_] View Post
I know that I'll have to deal with seedlings, but am I right in thinking
that, because they're annuals, I can rake up the old stems and then rotavate
the beds and they won't regrow from the roots? True - but they will already have seeded so you will have it back next year.

Does the same apply with rosebay willowherb? Yes!

Thank.
Good luck!
Old 23-01-2009, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in reply:

I know that I'll have to deal with seedlings, but am I right in thinking
that, because they're annuals, I can rake up the old stems and then
rotavate
the beds and they won't regrow from the roots?

"Control: Control measures should aim to prevent flowering and if this is
achieved before seeds are set, eradication is possible in two to three
years.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice re Himalayan Balsam. I managed to get
out before the snowfall and I raked them out and then covered the beds with
tarps. I await the lovely crop of seedlings in a month or so!

Weed of the Week: Himalayan Balsam (Impatiens glandulifera) Mad Cow Garden Photos 0 24-08-2013 01:54 PM
Himalayan Balsam Terry Pinnell[_2_] United Kingdom 3 03-07-2012 04:53 PM
himalayan balsam is a good mulch? blobbum United Kingdom 4 23-07-2010 11:26 AM
When to prune balsam fir Winter Lawns 0 19-04-2005 02:00 PM
himalayan balsam alternative flake United Kingdom 9 13-12-2002 09:46 PM