GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cuttings Problem. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/181280-cuttings-problem.html)

Mike 17-02-2009 06:05 PM

Cuttings Problem.

Hi, I have no problem cultivating from cuttings, its just keeping them
through the winter. I keep them in a cold frame, on the patio. They seem to
just die after a few months. I try not to water to regular, and I think the
potting compost is No 2, Cuttings range from Fuchia Nepata Honeysuckle etc
any help appreciated. Mike.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 18-02-2009 08:45 AM

Cuttings Problem.

In article ,
says...
Hi, I have no problem cultivating from cuttings, its just keeping them
through the winter. I keep them in a cold frame, on the patio. They seem to
just die after a few months. I try not to water to regular, and I think the
potting compost is No 2, Cuttings range from Fuchia Nepata Honeysuckle etc
any help appreciated. Mike.

Fuchsia need more winter protecion as young plants, and the others are
probably not well enough established to cope, either do the cuttings much
earlier in the year (I have already started) or give more protection in
winter
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Pete Stockdale 19-02-2009 10:46 AM

Cuttings Problem.

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Fuchsia need more winter protecion as young plants, and the others are
probably not well enough established to cope, either do the cuttings much
earlier in the year (I have already started) or give more protection in
winter

We find the plastic bag system works well.
Water the compost well and cover the top of the pot with a clear freezer
bag.
We have a pot full of Penstamen cuttings taken in autumn in the unheated
green house
awaiting potting on shortly.

Regards
Pete