GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Use of English. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/181483-use-english.html)

[email protected] 28-02-2009 09:43 AM

Use of English.

Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Gordon H[_3_] 28-02-2009 10:12 AM

Use of English.

In message ,
writes
Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Indeed. I was relieved to see some new sproots on the Spirea which I
severely pruned in November because it was looking exhausted after years
of fending for itself.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 28-02-2009 10:38 AM

Use of English.

The message
from contains these words:

Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Welcome to The Shed.

Here is your ticket, Sir.

With three free post vultures.

--
Rusty

Jeff Layman[_2_] 28-02-2009 11:47 AM

Use of English.

wrote:
Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well, what is the correct term for new root growth? ;-)

--
Jeff

[email protected] 28-02-2009 12:02 PM

Use of English.

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Welcome to The Shed.

Here is your ticket, Sir.

With three free post vultures.

Thank you. I will add them to my collection of such things in my
outbuildings.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Spider 28-02-2009 12:24 PM

Use of English.

wrote in message
Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sounds all right to me. In fact, I think you may have started something ...
only imagine how much clearer it would be if one could say "I've got some
sproots coming through on my sprout plants". It distinguishes the vistigial
growth from the chomping opportunity :~).

Anyway, I'm off to check for sproots in the garden. Catch you all later.

Spider

Sacha[_3_] 28-02-2009 01:30 PM

Use of English.

On 28/2/09 12:24, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

wrote in message
Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sounds all right to me. In fact, I think you may have started something ...
only imagine how much clearer it would be if one could say "I've got some
sproots coming through on my sprout plants". It distinguishes the vistigial
growth from the chomping opportunity :~).

Anyway, I'm off to check for sproots in the garden. Catch you all later.

Spider

I like 'sproot', I must say. It conveys little baby sprootlings quite
perfectly.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

James R 28-02-2009 01:38 PM

Use of English.

wrote in message
Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

No idea what you mean. Can you try again in English?

[email protected] 28-02-2009 01:46 PM

Use of English.

In article ,
James R wrote:

Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

No idea what you mean. Can you try again in English?

Hey ho, hey ho, a-trolling we will go!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_278_] 28-02-2009 02:26 PM

Use of English.

"Spider" wrote in message

wrote in message
Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sounds all right to me. In fact, I think you may have started something
... only imagine how much clearer it would be if one could say "I've got
some sproots coming through on my sprout plants". It distinguishes the
vistigial growth from the chomping opportunity :~).

Anyway, I'm off to check for sproots in the garden. Catch you all later.

Spider

I took my sproots up last week and dug over the ground

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 28-02-2009 04:01 PM

Use of English.

The message
from contains these words:
In article ,
James R wrote:

Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

No idea what you mean. Can you try again in English?

Hey ho, hey ho, a-trolling we will go!

Did someone speak, then?

Have I missed some pearl of wisdom?

--
Rusty

Sacha[_3_] 28-02-2009 04:14 PM

Use of English.

On 28/2/09 16:01, in article
, "Rusty_Hinge"
wrote:

The message
from
contains these words:
In article ,
James R wrote:

Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

No idea what you mean. Can you try again in English?

Hey ho, hey ho, a-trolling we will go!

Did someone speak, then?

Have I missed some pearl of wisdom?

No. ;-))

Gary Woods 28-02-2009 04:20 PM

Use of English.

wrote:

it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting,

I believe that's the Canadian version.

Fuschia[_3_] 28-02-2009 04:35 PM

Use of English.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:43:37 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

What about this then?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=sprooting

David in Normandy[_7_] 28-02-2009 04:45 PM

Use of English.

wrote:
Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I don't know about the written form of the word, but my father
always pronounces it as "sprutting".

--
David in Normandy.

by a filter and not reach my inbox.