Old 28-02-2009, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Use of English.

Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-02-2009, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sounds all right to me. In fact, I think you may have started something ...
only imagine how much clearer it would be if one could say "I've got some
sproots coming through on my sprout plants". It distinguishes the vistigial
growth from the chomping opportunity :~).

Anyway, I'm off to check for sproots in the garden. Catch you all later.

Spider

Old 28-02-2009, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

No idea what you mean. Can you try again in English?

Old 28-02-2009, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
James R wrote:

Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

No idea what you mean. Can you try again in English?

Hey ho, hey ho, a-trolling we will go!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-02-2009, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

wrote in message
Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sounds all right to me. In fact, I think you may have started something
... only imagine how much clearer it would be if one could say "I've got
some sproots coming through on my sprout plants". It distinguishes the
vistigial growth from the chomping opportunity :~).

Anyway, I'm off to check for sproots in the garden. Catch you all later.

Spider

I took my sproots up last week and dug over the ground