Old 09-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Corkscrew witch hazel

Hi! This is my first time posting, and I am hoping someone will be able to help me sort out the aforementioned witch hazel?

It's a long story, but I moved to Yorkshire from Oxford in 2005, and brought with me a young corkscrew witch hazel, which I had planted up in a tub with some dwarf daffodils. I haven't managed to sort out its permanent home yet, but it has been quite happy in its pot, throwing out new branches most years, and covering itself with lovely healthy leaves each spring.

The problem is, it isn't cork screwing. All but one of the branches are straight as a dye. I upgrade its pot whenever necessary, and it really looks very happy, it just seems to want to be straight. Does anyone have any ideas that might get it to cork screw properly as it is supposed to do??

All suggestions gratefully received.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Corkscrew witch hazel

--
weeble

Cork screw Hazels aer grafted and I suspect that what you have are a
lot of shoots comming from below the graft.
These will be more vigorous than the grafted wood so have to be
removed.
I have one that was moved 4 times in it's first 10 years, every time
from open ground to open ground, it has been in its present home for
about 12 years now, and has always taken the move well, it jost got
heavier and bigger each time.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 09-03-2009, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Dave Hill writes
On 9 Mar, 15:37, weeble
wrote:
Hi! *This is my first time posting, and I am hoping someone will be able
to help me sort out the aforementioned witch hazel?

It's a long story, but I moved to Yorkshire from Oxford in 2005, and
brought with me a young corkscrew witch hazel, which I had planted up
in a tub with some dwarf daffodils. *I haven't managed to sort out its
permanent home yet, but it has been quite happy in its pot, throwing
out new branches most years, and covering itself with lovely healthy
leaves each spring.

That's not right! Nice as they are in spring when covered in catkins,
once they have leaves, they look like a heap of old dishcloths.

The problem is, it isn't cork screwing. * All but one of the branches
are straight as a dye. *I upgrade its pot whenever necessary, and it
really looks very happy, it just seems to want to be straight. *Does
anyone have any ideas that might get it to cork screw properly as it is
supposed to do??

Cork screw Hazels aer grafted and I suspect that what you have are a
lot of shoots comming from below the graft.
These will be more vigorous than the grafted wood so have to be
removed.
I have one that was moved 4 times in it's first 10 years, every time
from open ground to open ground, it has been in its present home for
about 12 years now, and has always taken the move well, it jost got
heavier and bigger each time.

Agreed with David. Cut out all the straight bits and leave only your one
and only corkscrew bit.
--
Kay
Old 10-03-2009, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"weeble" wrote in message

Hi! This is my first time posting, and I am hoping someone will be able
to help me sort out the aforementioned witch hazel?

It's a long story, but I moved to Yorkshire from Oxford in 2005, and
brought with me a young corkscrew witch hazel, which I had planted up
in a tub with some dwarf daffodils. I haven't managed to sort out its
permanent home yet, but it has been quite happy in its pot, throwing
out new branches most years, and covering itself with lovely healthy
leaves each spring.

The problem is, it isn't cork screwing. All but one of the branches
are straight as a dye. I upgrade its pot whenever necessary, and it
really looks very happy, it just seems to want to be straight. Does
anyone have any ideas that might get it to cork screw properly as it is
supposed to do??

All suggestions gratefully received.

My experience with twisted Hazels is that nothing can be done to make a
'straight' shoot into a corkscrew branch. But provided you ruthlessly cut
out all the 'straight' shoots and suckers whenever they arise, only allowing
corkscrew branches to develop, you should be OK. So in your case, I'd lop
off the straight branches as near to the bole or the ground as possible,
keep on top of any straight regrowths, and hope for the best.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Dave Hill writes
On 9 Mar, 15:37, weeble
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the information, it is a great help. I just have one more question though, when is the best time to prune it? (Bet you'd never have guessed I am a novice gardener!)

Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeble View Post
Hi! This is my first time posting, and I am hoping someone will be able to help me sort out the aforementioned witch hazel?

It's a long story, but I moved to Yorkshire from Oxford in 2005, and brought with me a young corkscrew witch hazel, which I had planted up in a tub with some dwarf daffodils. I haven't managed to sort out its permanent home yet, but it has been quite happy in its pot, throwing out new branches most years, and covering itself with lovely healthy leaves each spring.

The problem is, it isn't cork screwing. All but one of the branches are straight as a dye. I upgrade its pot whenever necessary, and it really looks very happy, it just seems to want to be straight. Does anyone have any ideas that might get it to cork screw properly as it is supposed to do??

All suggestions gratefully received.
Do you mean wych hazel, or hazel? Remove the straight stems as soon as possible as they are reversions and will take over. Use them as stakes, and until they are removed it will not corkscrew.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Do you mean wych hazel, or hazel?
OP evidently has hazel (Corylus), not witch hazel (Hamamelis). Witch hazel got the common name hazel because its twigs were used for dowsing like hazel. As it happens, their leaves have a similar shape, but then so do many others. But otherwise they are neither closely related nor especially similar. The only corkscrew varieties I've come across are (true) hazel and willow.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from echinosum contains these words:

beccabunga;833057 Wrote:
Do you mean wych hazel, or hazel?

OP evidently has hazel (Corylus), not witch hazel (Hamamelis). Witch
hazel got the common name hazel because its twigs were used for
dowsing like hazel. As it happens, their leaves have a similar shape,
but then so do many others. But otherwise they are neither closely
related nor especially similar. The only corkscrew varieties I've come
across are (true) hazel and willow.

Oi hev some corkscrew willers, any'un waarnt a cutting, tergither?

--
Rusty
Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 10 Mar, 12:03, weeble
wrote:
K;833032 Wrote:

Dave Hill writes-

-
*Cork screw Hazels aer grafted and I suspect that what you have are a
lot of shoots comming from below the graft.
These will be more vigorous than the grafted wood so have to be
removed.*
I have one that was moved 4 times in it's first 10 years, every time
from open ground to open ground, it has been in its present home for
about 12 years now, and has always taken the move well, it jost got
heavier and bigger each time.-

*Agreed with David. Cut out all the straight bits and leave only your
one
and only corkscrew bit.*
--
Kay

Thanks for the information, it is a great help. *I just have one more
question though, when is the best time to prune it? *(Bet you'd never
have guessed I am a novice gardener!)

SASP or sooner.
David Hill