GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   begonia tuber broken (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/181937-begonia-tuber-broken.html)

Sheila 21-03-2009 05:10 PM

begonia tuber broken

Hi, was taking out my begonia million dollar passion tuber to repot, and I
was just seeing if any part of the tuber was going to come off the main one,
and lo and behold the darn thing broke in two.....I have put them in pots,
what are my chances of success, if any, thanks

Bob Hobden 21-03-2009 05:19 PM

begonia tuber broken

"Sheila" wrote...
Hi, was taking out my begonia million dollar passion tuber to repot, and I
was just seeing if any part of the tuber was going to come off the main
one, and lo and behold the darn thing broke in two.....I have put them in
pots, what are my chances of success, if any, thanks

Excellent.
That's how I have increased the one I got from my mothers greenhouse after
she died (in 1993), by cutting up the tuber into chunks.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Sheila 21-03-2009 05:52 PM

begonia tuber broken

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sheila" wrote...
Hi, was taking out my begonia million dollar passion tuber to repot, and
I was just seeing if any part of the tuber was going to come off the main
one, and lo and behold the darn thing broke in two.....I have put them in
pots, what are my chances of success, if any, thanks

Excellent.
That's how I have increased the one I got from my mothers greenhouse after
she died (in 1993), by cutting up the tuber into chunks.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Phew, thanks!

Jeff Layman[_2_] 21-03-2009 08:45 PM

begonia tuber broken

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sheila" wrote...
Hi, was taking out my begonia million dollar passion tuber to repot, and
I was just seeing if any part of the tuber was going to come off the main
one, and lo and behold the darn thing broke in two.....I have put them in
pots, what are my chances of success, if any, thanks

Excellent.
That's how I have increased the one I got from my mothers greenhouse after
she died (in 1993), by cutting up the tuber into chunks.

Do you need to dust the cut surface with sulphur or some other fungicide?
Also, don't you need to have a bud on each chunk?

--
Jeff

Bob Hobden 22-03-2009 12:18 AM

begonia tuber broken

"Jeff Layman" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sheila" wrote...
Hi, was taking out my begonia million dollar passion tuber to repot, and
I was just seeing if any part of the tuber was going to come off the
main
one, and lo and behold the darn thing broke in two.....I have put them
in
pots, what are my chances of success, if any, thanks

Excellent.
That's how I have increased the one I got from my mothers greenhouse
after
she died (in 1993), by cutting up the tuber into chunks.

Do you need to dust the cut surface with sulphur or some other fungicide?
Also, don't you need to have a bud on each chunk?

I didn't, i let it dry, and yes.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Emrys Davies 22-03-2009 12:25 AM

begonia tuber broken

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sheila" wrote...
Hi, was taking out my begonia million dollar passion tuber to

repot, and
I was just seeing if any part of the tuber was going to come off

the main
one, and lo and behold the darn thing broke in two.....I have put

them in
pots, what are my chances of success, if any, thanks

Excellent.
That's how I have increased the one I got from my mothers greenhouse

after
she died (in 1993), by cutting up the tuber into chunks.

Do you need to dust the cut surface with sulphur or some other

fungicide?
Also, don't you need to have a bud on each chunk?

Yes, you are spot on.