Old 30-03-2009, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bamboo Pruning

I have a Fargesia Murieliae "Willow" which is well-behaved, and
has been in position for about 9 years. I would now like to
thin out the clump a little.

I have read suggestions that it can be pruned in spring, but one
problem I have is that, peering into the clump, I can't readily
distinguish what I should be cutting. Apart from some very thin
and short old dry stems, consistent with its size when first
planted, everything else appears much the same, with stems green,
and about as thick as a pencil.

What should I be cutting out?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:

First cut out all the thin short dry faded old stems , and any
others that have snapped or kinked.
Then selectively thin the strong green healthy stems, so that you
leave the finest evenly spaced throughout the clump. (save the cut ones
to dry for plant supports)
Trim all stumps as close to ground level as possible. At this time of
year you'll see new culms emerging from the soil like dark spear
points, leave those alone.

Thanks for that. I have now got the clump much tidier for this
year.

Chris