Old 30-03-2009, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spring?

OK, I concede that spring has reached God's Own County at last - but
only because I was visited by my first white butterfly of the year,
this morning. It was flying in such a feeble manner that it got caught
up in the sprouting hawthorn hedge (sorry Martin, in my usual
bloodthirsty way I did not rush to free it), but the gentle breeze
did, so it is now on its way to the Netherlands to lay its first crop
of eggs on your brassicas.

Old 30-03-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 30, 3:56*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 05:39:54 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
wrote:

OK, I concede that spring has reached God's Own County at last - but
only because I was visited by my first white butterfly of the year,
this morning. It was flying in such a feeble manner that it got caught
up in the sprouting hawthorn hedge (sorry Martin, in my usual
bloodthirsty way I did not rush to free it), but the gentle breeze
did, so it is now on its way to the Netherlands to lay its first crop
of eggs on your brassicas.

If I was to believe the eco warriors on TV, I would feel privileged that the
cabbage white is heading in our direction. If it is expecting brassicas it is
going to be bitterly disappointed. Judging from the wind direction it is going
to end up in the N Sea or Denmark or N Germany.

You disappoint me, don't you know how smart English butterflies are?
It fluttered off in the direction of Harwich, obviously to catch the
cross channel ferry!
Old 30-03-2009, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 30, 5:56*pm, Martin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Cross channel?

Harwich for the Continent, Frinton for the incontinent.

OK, so it "passed" Frinton on the way.
Old 30-03-2009, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from moghouse contains these words:

OK, I concede that spring has reached God's Own County at last - but
only because I was visited by my first white butterfly of the year,
this morning.

A peacock zoomed by my ear this morning, and I could distinctly hear it.
I reckon it had sat on a chilli plant or something, the rate it was
going.

It was flying in such a feeble manner that it got caught
up in the sprouting hawthorn hedge (sorry Martin, in my usual
bloodthirsty way I did not rush to free it),

Good thinking...

but the gentle breeze
did, so it is now on its way to the Netherlands to lay its first crop
of eggs on your brassicas.

Didn't it know the way to France?

--
Rusty

Old 30-03-2009, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

wrote:

OK, I concede that spring has reached God's Own County at last - but
only because I was visited by my first white butterfly of the year,
this morning. It was flying in such a feeble manner that it got caught
up in the sprouting hawthorn hedge (sorry Martin, in my usual
bloodthirsty way I did not rush to free it), but the gentle breeze
did, so it is now on its way to the Netherlands to lay its first crop
of eggs on your brassicas.

If I was to believe the eco warriors on TV, I would feel privileged that the
cabbage white is heading in our direction. If it is expecting
brassicas it is
going to be bitterly disappointed. Judging from the wind direction it
is going
to end up in the N Sea or Denmark or N Germany.

So inspect your sauerkraut before eating it, folks.

--
Rusty
Old 30-03-2009, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Harwich for the Continent, Frinton for the incontinent.

Oy! Wochit you! I was at bawdy school in Frinton!

--
Rusty
Old 30-03-2009, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from moghouse contains these words:

Harwich for the Continent, Frinton for the incontinent.

OK, so it "passed" Frinton on the way.

I bet *THAT* was painful...

--
Rusty
Old 31-03-2009, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Not if it caught a ferry at Harwich! Then again, if it st
--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

opped short and got on a container ship at Felixstowe, it might :-}