Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default chitting potatoes

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote
Just to be sure I know what this means.. does it mean waiting til
the spuds have wee shoots growing from them?

Yes, well actually, getting them to start to sprout.

Ah! I supposed that one put them in the light and waited. Is there a
technique?

Sounds like you have the technique. Some spuds are slow to sprout,
other romp away.

*I* have the technique??? Wow)))

I mentioned that when at Harlow Carr recently, I bought some bags,
compost and some seed potatoes. I have them in the light awaiting
sprouts. I have no sprouts. Must I wait till the sprouts grow
before I can plant them, please?
No, if they haven't started to sprout and are otherwise OK then just
go ahead and plant.

Just one more question if you please. Do I bury the potatoes
completely or leave some of the bumpy bits poking out?

Yes, normally about 6 inches down. I use a bulb planter pushed into
the soil as far as it will go to cut a hole.

Ace thanks)

ps Not just a question to you Bob, but are my questions terribly
asinine? Would it be preferable to the group for me to go away and
do some research first?

I did say I was a beginner, but perhaps I didn't make it clear just
how much of one

We all had to learn sometime, not everyone is lucky enough to have
had years of advice/practice from good allotment gardeners as they
grew up. Sometimes a simple question from a novice can make
experienced gardeners question themselves, which is always good.

You are most kind, thank you. It is very much appreciated.