Old 05-04-2009, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrot tops

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 21:37:08 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Dave Hill wrote:
On 5 Apr, 09:45, "Ophelia" wrote:
Back to growing Carrot tops on the window sill, in a saucer with
damp paper in it.

Oh my! I remember doing that when I was a small child) Can you
remember, do you cut down the tops before putting it in the saucer?-

If you use the tops of bought carrots, you just leave about 1cm of
carrot, no leaves to deal with.
If home grown then remove all leaves.

Thanks David! I feel a wee growing session with my Grandson coming on)

Here's one he'll like -

Get a glass jar, put a bit of foam, sponge or whatever round the inside of
it, put a few peas or sprouting beans in betweeen the sponge and the glass,
keep it damp, he'll love to see the roots and shoots forming.

Steve

We used to do that with blotting paper! No foam in those days!

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Dave Hill contains these words:
On 5 Apr, 16:38, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Back to growing Carrot tops on the window sill, in a saucer *with damp
paper in it.
I've done that but just as a novelty. Never thought of eating them.

Now - cut young carrot-tops finely and use instead of parsley in a white
sauce.

Goes nicely with ham or boiled bacon.

(Comes of being a war-baby innit.)

Which war was that?

100 years War, of course.

--
Rusty
Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Dave Hill wrote:
On 5 Apr, 16:38, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Back to growing Carrot tops on the window sill, in a saucer with
damp paper in it.
I've done that but just as a novelty. Never thought of eating them.

Now - cut young carrot-tops finely and use instead of parsley in a
white sauce.

Goes nicely with ham or boiled bacon.

(Comes of being a war-baby innit.)

Which war was that?

Falklands? So many wars in these times!

That wan'r a war, we were told it was 'an armed conflict', and everyone
knows that's not the same...

--
Rusty
Old 06-04-2009, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

Here's one he'll like -

Get a glass jar, put a bit of foam, sponge or whatever round the inside of
it, put a few peas or sprouting beans in betweeen the sponge and the glass,
keep it damp, he'll love to see the roots and shoots forming.

We used to do that with blotting-paper, peas, runner beans, butter beans, etc.

--
Rusty

Old 06-04-2009, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

We used to do that with blotting paper!

Absorbant rays!

--
Rusty
Old 06-04-2009, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Dave Hill wrote:
On 5 Apr, 09:45, "Ophelia" wrote:
Back to growing Carrot tops on the window sill, in a saucer with
damp paper in it.

Oh my! I remember doing that when I was a small child) Can you
remember, do you cut down the tops before putting it in the
saucer?- Hide quoted text -

If you use the tops of bought carrots, you just leave about 1cm of
carrot, no leaves to deal with.
If home grown then remove all leaves.

Thanks David! I feel a wee growing session with my Grandson coming
on)

Here's one he'll like -

Get a glass jar, put a bit of foam, sponge or whatever round the
inside of it, put a few peas or sprouting beans in betweeen the
sponge and the glass, keep it damp, he'll love to see the roots and
shoots forming.

OH YES!! I had forgotten that I never did that with my own children but I
did it as a child. Gosh, what memories you inspire Thanks

Old 06-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
A friend has just asked me if the green tops of carrots are edible.
I have never thought about it, but assume they are not edible.
Are they poisonous?

Pam in Bristol
Not in themselves. The problem is the pesticide residues they carry.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Dave Hill wrote:
On 5 Apr, 16:38, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Back to growing Carrot tops on the window sill, in a saucer with
damp paper in it.
I've done that but just as a novelty. Never thought of eating
them.

Now - cut young carrot-tops finely and use instead of parsley in a
white sauce.

Goes nicely with ham or boiled bacon.

(Comes of being a war-baby innit.)

Which war was that?

Falklands? So many wars in these times!

That wan'r a war, we were told it was 'an armed conflict', and
everyone knows that's not the same...

heh

Old 06-04-2009, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Get a glass jar, put a bit of foam, sponge or whatever round the
inside of it, put a few peas or sprouting beans in betweeen the
sponge and the glass, keep it damp, he'll love to see the roots and
shoots forming.

OH YES!! I had forgotten that I never did that with my own children
but I
did it as a child. Gosh, what memories you inspire Thanks

Do children shoot up if you nurture them in damp jars, then?

--
Rusty

Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from beccabunga contains these words:
'Pam Moore[_2_ Wrote:

;836995']A friend has just asked me if the green tops of carrots are
edible.
I have never thought about it, but assume they are not edible.
Are they poisonous?

Not in themselves. The problem is the pesticide residues they carry.

If they have pesticide residues, the carrots will have more.

(And the carrot has a natural pesticide in its skin, which is why they
(and other root veg) should be peeled. I don't know if the poison is
thermolabile.

--
Rusty
Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Get a glass jar, put a bit of foam, sponge or whatever round the
inside of it, put a few peas or sprouting beans in betweeen the
sponge and the glass, keep it damp, he'll love to see the roots and
shoots forming.

OH YES!! I had forgotten that I never did that with my own
children but I
did it as a child. Gosh, what memories you inspire Thanks

Do children shoot up if you nurture them in damp jars, then?

Oi dunno ole fruit, do they?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Dave Hill wrote:
On 5 Apr, 16:38, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Back to growing Carrot tops on the window sill, in a saucer with
damp paper in it.
I've done that but just as a novelty. Never thought of eating
them.

Now - cut young carrot-tops finely and use instead of parsley in a
white sauce.

Goes nicely with ham or boiled bacon.

(Comes of being a war-baby innit.)

Which war was that?

Falklands? So many wars in these times!

That wan'r a war, we were told it was 'an armed conflict', and
everyone knows that's not the same...

heh

Meant to say, T'was so a war. it was a declared war between two nation
states! So there!!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

That wan'r a war, we were told it was 'an armed conflict', and
everyone knows that's not the same...

heh

Meant to say, T'was so a war. it was a declared war between two nation
states! So there!!

Maggie said it wasn't, so there nyaaaah!

(And no returns!)

--
Rusty