GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Elaeagnus - are the berries poisonous? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182416-elaeagnus-berries-poisonous.html)

Earth Mother 07-04-2009 11:19 PM

Elaeagnus - are the berries poisonous?

First post here! I have a house in France where, in 2005, I planted several Elaeagnus x ebbingei to make a hedgerow. My (new) dog is now eating the berries. Does anyone know if they are poisonous?

Dave Hill 08-04-2009 10:00 AM

Elaeagnus - are the berries poisonous?

--
Earth Mother

All the Elaeagnus family bear edible fruits as well as being useful
nitrogen-fixing
David Hill

echinosum 08-04-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earth Mother (Post 837552)
First post here! I have a house in France where, in 2005, I planted several Elaeagnus x ebbingei to make a hedgerow. My (new) dog is now eating the berries. Does anyone know if they are poisonous?

I've eaten a lot without coming to any harm. They are highly nutricious, tasty and given top rating for edibility at http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....nus+x+ebbingei
In fact I planted mine because I wanted the berries to eat but it won't flower...

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 08-04-2009 05:54 PM

Elaeagnus - are the berries poisonous?

The message
from echinosum contains these words:

http://tinyurl.com/csut24
In fact I planted mine because I wanted the berries to eat but it won't
flower...

Give it five years.

It likes to think things over a bit.

--
Rusty

echinosum 09-04-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty_Hinge[_2_] (Post 837800)
In fact I planted mine because I wanted the berries to eat but it won't
flower...[/i][/color]

Give it five years.

It's had a couple more than 5 years. But we do have to cut it back hard as we wish to be able to get into the house, and it grows very fast.