GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identify please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182444-identify-please.html)

Jim S 09-04-2009 12:50 AM

Identify please

The plant I need identifying is the large fountain grass-like plant.
It is sharing the M&S arrangement with an orchid.
The leaves are quite firm and spring directly out of (no stem) what appears
to be a bulb/corm half buried in the compost.
Photos here show the arrangement and a close-up of the bulb/corm below.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Plant.htm
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Stewart Robert Hinsley 09-04-2009 08:08 AM

Identify please

In message , Jim S
writes
The plant I need identifying is the large fountain grass-like plant.
It is sharing the M&S arrangement with an orchid.
The leaves are quite firm and spring directly out of (no stem) what appears
to be a bulb/corm half buried in the compost.
Photos here show the arrangement and a close-up of the bulb/corm below.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Plant.htm

It looks as if it's some type of bromeliad. I'm thinking Tillandsia, but
I can offer any reasons why.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

echinosum 09-04-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley (Post 837897)
It looks as if it's some type of bromeliad. I'm thinking Tillandsia, but
I can offer any reasons why.

I don't think any bromeliads have a tuber/bulb/corm (or whatever it is) like that. But as to what it is, I have no idea. It makes me wonder if a very young Beaucarnia recurvata might look like that, in which case the "bulb" is a caudex. I think you'd be more likely to get an authoritative answer on http://growingontheedge.net/

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 09-04-2009 12:24 PM

Identify please

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:
Jim S wrote:

The plant I need identifying is the large fountain grass-like plant.
It is sharing the M&S arrangement with an orchid.
The leaves are quite firm and spring directly out of (no stem) what
appears to be a bulb/corm half buried in the compost.
Photos here show the arrangement and a close-up of the bulb/corm below.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Plant.htm

Is the "bulb/corm" a bit like a tiny coconut? A friend of mine
has one of those (not part of an arrangement) but I have no
idea what it is...

I hope that yours needs the same conditions as the orchid.
"Arrangers" can be a bit 'easy-ozie' about things like that!

What has Captain Hoseason got to do with it?

--
Rusty

Bob Hobden 09-04-2009 05:15 PM

Identify please

"echinosum" wrote ..

Stewart Robert Hinsley;837897 Wrote:
It looks as if it's some type of bromeliad. I'm thinking Tillandsia, but

I can offer any reasons why.

I don't think any bromeliads have a tuber/bulb/corm (or whatever it is)
like that. But as to what it is, I have no idea. It makes me wonder if a
very young Beaucarnia recurvata might look like that, in which case the
"bulb" is a caudex. I think you'd be more likely to get an
authoritative answer on http://growingontheedge.net/

Yes, it does look like three young Beaucarnia.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

someone 09-04-2009 10:47 PM

Identify please

"Jim S" wrote in message
The plant I need identifying is the large fountain grass-like plant.
It is sharing the M&S arrangement with an orchid.
The leaves are quite firm and spring directly out of (no stem) what
appears
to be a bulb/corm half buried in the compost.
Photos here show the arrangement and a close-up of the bulb/corm below.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Plant.htm
--

Does it flower? Maybe it is Billbergia nutans?

someone

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 10-04-2009 12:02 PM

Identify please

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Jim S wrote:

The plant I need identifying is the large fountain grass-like plant.
It is sharing the M&S arrangement with an orchid.
The leaves are quite firm and spring directly out of (no stem) what
appears to be a bulb/corm half buried in the compost.
Photos here show the arrangement and a close-up of the bulb/corm
below.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Plant.htm

Is the "bulb/corm" a bit like a tiny coconut? A friend of mine
has one of those (not part of an arrangement) but I have no
idea what it is...

I hope that yours needs the same conditions as the orchid.
"Arrangers" can be a bit 'easy-ozie' about things like that!

What has Captain Hoseason got to do with it?

What has Captain hoseason got to do with WHAT?

His nickname was 'Old Heasy-Oasy'...

--
Rusty